How much alcohol does everyone drink?

John J

In my younger days, I was a very heavy drinker although never in danger of becoming an alcoholic as I could also survive several days without touching a drop. It all depends on your make up, I suppose.

For the last 20 years or so, my drinking habits have been much more moderate although I frequently exceeded the the official 21 unit guideline.

Since diagnosis, I've cut down drastically but much of the reason for this was to assist in my weight loss rather than fear of adverse effects from drinking itself..... During the last week(Usually, I count from Wed to Wed), I've had more than usual but still less than 21 units and I'm having a day off today!

I've found that if I alternate with soda water.... even diluting my beer slightly on occasion(Tastes OK, actually), I can make it last much longer. Also, I'll take the occasional "short" rather than a pint.

Of course, everyone's circumstances and general health differs and some people shouldn't drink at all. However, I don't feel that my limited intake is doing me much harm. When I reach my target weight of about 12 stone, I'll probably relax a little although I'll still not drink to excess and try to remain under 21 units a week although I believe this guideline to be over cautious for someone with my height and build...probably 28 units is OK and, in fact, there was once a suggestion by the medical authorities that this was a more realistic figure.

Dobbs

It seems that as diabetics alcohol is not our biggest problem.
I stopped drinking for nearly four months earlier this year, thinking this was a good thing to do if you are diabetic. I lost about a stone (thanks to fewer beer-induced calories) but otherwise didn't notice much difference, and no particular improvement in my blood sugar levels.
When I went back to drinking in June I was delighted to discover that a glass or two of whiskey on occasion would lower my blood sugar. :shock:
Many people on this forum and elsewhere seem to think that red wine is the best thing to drink. White is good too. Unfortunately I'm a lager lout at heart, so am trying to reform.
I also believe that a couple of days in the week without alcohol is healthy.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Dobbs,

I enjoy a lager now and again. There are 2 low carb drinks I have tried, Sainsburys Diat Pils at less than 3g CBH per can and Co-op Premium Lager at 4 g per can. "Normal" CBH is around 16-24 g per can.
Also trying to understand why real ale and Guinness do not spike my blood as standard lagers do?..
(Not complaining though :lol: ).

Regards Steve.

Dobbs

Bluenosesol said:
I enjoy a lager now and again. There are 2 low carb drinks I have tried, Sainsburys Diat Pils at less than 3g CBH per can and Co-op Premium Lager at 4 g per can. "Normal" CBH is around 16-24 g per can.
Also trying to understand why real ale and Guinness do not spike my blood as standard lagers do?..
(Not complaining though :lol: ).
Regards Steve.

Thanks for that, Steve. I'll try the Sainsbury's diet pils.
But actually a couple of pints of Guinness makes me pretty happy :p and I don't usually tend to want a third, as I would with lager.
Having said that, was out last night at our local wonderful Italian and had some wine and finished off with a substantial glass of their homemade limoncello - delicious but was a bit shocked by the old meter this morning :shock:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
What a fantastic thread. :D

As the drinkers amongst you may have deduced from my forum name, I love my whisky.

If I'm completely honest, I love all kinds of alcohol; beer, lager, whisky, gin, vodka and all colours of wine (have I missed anything out? :p ).

I was psyching myself up to total abstinance for at least a few months until I hopefully get my condition under control and for the sake of my liver will probably still do so.

HOWEVER, life is short and a life without alcohol to someone like me who loves it wouldn't be much fun. :( If I had to ration myself to particular drinks only I could live with shorts only and give up the beer/lager. From this thread there seems (to me anyhow) to be no clear winner as to which drink(s) to safely indulge in regularly. Red wine and whisky seem to be the two favourites, but what about vodka? I'm partial to a vodka and coke these days - the coke being either Pepsi Max or one of the other sugar free varieties.

Someone please tell me (doctor's orders) to have a wee dram every night or a glass of red wine please. 8)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Oh and another thing.

Whatever happened to Holstein Pils???

I never drank it myself but can remember their tv advert campaign saying "all the sugar turns to alcohol".

Could this be a diabetic friendly beer?

Does such a thing exist?

I live in hope.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Holstein Pils 440ml can contains 10.56 gm of carbs.

Co-op Premium is only 3.96gm of carb per 440ml can.

Corona light has no carbs apparently.

List of various beers found in the Calorie, Carb and Fat bible 2010.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm having a blonde moment here Sue,

Are you saying the carbs are more important than sugar, or as carbs are converted into sugar it's one and the same thing?

So is the Holstein claim about turning all the sugar into alcohol b******t?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Carbohydrates are sugars !
When you look at packaging always look at the total carb content not just the sugar content.Carbohydrate converts to glucose in the body and, as diabetes is an inability to metabolise carbohydrate efficiently, we must all bear this in mind when choosing what to eat/drink.

Similarly, on so called ' sugar free' products look out for ingredients ending in ' ose' and ' ole' as these are sugars in disguise and can raise blood sugars as well.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks SS.

Any comment to my other previous question?

Ardbeg said:
Someone please tell me (doctor's orders) to have a wee dram every night or a glass of red wine please. 8)

I live in hope. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ardbeg said:
Thanks SS.

Any comment to my other previous question?

Ardbeg said:

I live in hope. :D

Most spirits are all 0g carbs so are quite safe in moderation. Red Wine as far as I am concerned does reduce Bg levels and also has benefits for the Cardivascular system. Try it and test !

srm100841

I'm not now, nor have ever been a 'big' drinker. Nonetheless i do have 2 cans of real ale EVERY day before dinner and usually a couple of glasses of wine. Occasionally I substitute the wine with a brandy or pernod and soda with some cheese after eating. Gin and tonic is also one of my favourites.

Diabetes I find is such a b*****y pain that I feel I deserve the odd treat. I love chocolate, strong and dark (remember that), cream cakes with chocolate, strong coffee with 2 or more spoons of dark sugar, capuccino, warm milk before bed, seafood linguine, masses of spiced rice, fruit by the ton especially berries, indian breads.........etc, etc, etc which I don't now have.

I find that I can drink lots of alcohol without affecting my BG levels. Since I've been low carbing (about 6 months) I've dragged my average levels down from close to 12 to about 6 and a bit. At the same time I've reduced my medication from 420 gms gliclazide per day to 40.

Yes, I do eat too much meat, fat, dairy produce etc, but I can still manage to enjoy food and a drink.

When I relied upon my local GP's clinic I had yearly increasing test levels and a potential future on insulin. Thanks to this forum I can now feel that I have some control of my condition plus a reasonable diet. God bring back the good times though. Alcohol though doesn't have a bad BG affect. I haven't started fighting in the street yet either so am prepared to accept that pschologically it doesn't have too bad an affect either. I haven't heard directly from my liver yet though!!!

Steve

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm on a self imposed abstinence for the whole of this month; largely because I want to get to grips with this condition and what my BG is like without alcohol.

I do intend drinking again (life is too short) and whilst I appreciate that beer (lager or dark beers) is probably a no no, I want to return to drinking whisky, wine and vodka..............but not all in the same glass. 8)

Having scanned right through this thread I'm keen to explore this notion that both red wine and whisky, in moderation of course, are good for keeping your BG down, or at the very least don't make it rise. Is there any medical evidence of this or is this just what some forum users have discovered themselves by trial and error?

Also vodka, is it good or bad for betes? Why? because I love it. :wink:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My lowest bgs were the morning after taking a large whiskey with hot water and lemon for a bad cold. Havent tried it since but I am posting this as un scientific evidence !

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
First test of my resolve tonight.

My wife and I are going to a friends house for a meal and drinks.

I'll be drinking fizzy water whilst watching the 3 of them get slowly pie eyed. :wink:

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Found this :
If it helps prevent T2, then maybe it helps improve T2??

ITALIAN RESEARCH COUNCIL AFFIRMS ONE SHOT GLASS OF VODKA DAILY KEEPS DIABETES AWAY
Rome, Mar. 23rd (Adnkronos) – A drink during the main meal of the day could keep diabetes away. Not only has red wine been found to be “heart –friendly” but now also vodka in moderate amounts is said to be “healthy”. In fact, it seems that vodka is useful against diabetes, especially to ward off mellitus diabetes, or non-insulin dependent Type 2 diabetes. This was discovered by the researchers of the Biomedical Engineering Institute of the National Research Council (CNR) of Padua, in collaboration with the researchers of the Department of Experimental Medicine of the Padua General Hospital.

Steve

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Steve,

You are a star. :p

Also found these this morning:

BEER
ABV: 3.5 to 5 per cent
Calories: 170 per pint

In limited amounts, it may have some nutritional benefit. Researchers at King's College London found that a glass of beer a day is one of the best ways to ensure strong and healthy bones because it is one of the richest sources of the mineral silicon.
It is also a good source of the B vitamin folate: adults need 200mcg a day, though women of child-bearing age need 400mcg. A pint of beer provides 68mcg. Beer also contains boron, another trace mineral needed to maintain healthy bones. And a pint supplies a tenth of the recommended daily allowance of niacin, which is needed to help release energy from food.
The concept of a 'beer belly' is in some ways a misnomer. While beer contains plenty of calories, it is the fact that it is an appetite stimulant ? increasing the desire to eat - which really piles on the pounds. And beer also contains purines, which increase the level of uric acid in the joints, leading to gout.

GUINNESS

ABV: 3.5 per cent
Calories: 170 per pint
It was once promoted as a healthy form of alcohol and given to patients after operations, pregnant women and blood donors because it was thought to be high in iron and so prevent anaemia.
However, Guinness contains only 1.1mg of iron per pint: the recommended daily allowance for women is 14mg, with 8.7mg for men. A better source of iron is lean red meat.
Researchers at the University of Wisconsin found that a daily pint of Guinness with a meal reduced heart clots and reduced the risk of cardiac attacks. This is because it contains antioxidants - similar to those found in fruit and vegetables - which slow down the deposit of cholesterol on the artery walls.

WHITE WINE
ABV: 12 per cent
Calories: 93 per 125ml glass

As it lacks congeners - chemicals produced during fermentation, which give drinks their flavour and colour - white wine is less likely than red to cause a hangover.
When drunk moderately (no more than three small glasses a day), scientists at the University of Buffalo believe it may help keep lungs healthy. It contains antioxidants that stop the creation of harmful molecules which can damage lung tissues.
White wine makes your stomach secrete more acid than normal, irritating the lining and inflaming the digestive tract, which can lead to nausea.
It's also thought that sulphur dioxide - used to preserve the grapes - can trigger asthma. The sweeter the wine, the higher the sulphur dioxide content.

RED WINE
ABV: 10 to 15 per cent
Calories: 85 per 125ml glass

When consumed in moderation, red wine is the best alcohol for your health, says scientist Rebecca Foster of the British Nutrition Foundation.
Wine - white or red - contains small amounts of minerals and B vitamins (though less than beer). However, compared with white wine, red contains more potassium, iron and antioxidants called phenolics, which may be protective against coronary heart disease by preventing clogging of the arteries.

A glass or two of red wine a day may also guard against adult onset diabetes, stroke and Alzheimer's disease. Drinking red wine may help us get to sleep more easily, according to research from the University of Milan.

Grape skins - which are removed when making white wine - contain melatonin, a hormone that keeps our body clocks in check and induces sleep.
But red wine will give you a worse hangover than white because, like other dark-coloured drinks, it contains congeners. They are thought to constrict blood vessels in the brain, causing headaches and nausea.

GIN
ABV: 37.5 per cent
Calories: 55 per 25ml shot
It's often referred to as Mother's Ruin, but there is no scientific basis for the belief that gin makes you feel unhappy.

It may make you pass water quicker than other alcoholic drinks, since the juniper berries it contains have a diuretic effect - this can aggravate the dehydration caused by any alcohol intake.
Like all clear spirits, it is preservative free, and so free of chemicals that can induce a hangover. However, drinking it in excess will make you feel ill. Mixer drinks increase calorie intake, but will slow down absorption of alcohol.

WHISKY
ABV: 40 per cent Calories: 55 per shot
Like red wine, whisky contains plant compounds which are thought to protect the body from molecules that could harm healthy cells. These come from the oak barrels in which whisky is stored during maturation.

A study in the British Medical Journal found that in small doses it could help protect against heart disease. It has also been shown to reduce the likelihood of strokes and cataracts.
Last year, a scientific conference in Glasgow heard that single malt whisky could help fight cancer. This is because it contains ellagic acid, which can absorb rogue cells in the body. Ellagic acid is also found in soft fruit.

Single malt has more congeners than blended Scotch, so it can give you a worse hangover.

VODKA
ABV: 40 per cent Calories: 55 per 25ml shot

The purest of all alcohol - it is distilled so well that no yeast remains, so you can drink it if on a yeast-free diet.

Vodka is also the least likely of all alcoholic drinks to give you a hangover, as it is free of preservatives, congeners and colouring.

One scientific analysis found vodka had only a tiny amount of the toxic alcohol methanol, so is less likely to cause the unpleasant after-affects of drinking too much

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z0cDhFJBBe

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just thinking about drink (again) :D

Will stick to whisky, red wine or vodka when I do start again, but will try to stay teetotal until my next appointment with the DN.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if it's come up before but one thing to consider is the calories in alcohol.
I like my red wine in the evening but if I find that I'm putting on a bit of weight,I'll just drink it at weekends for a while. There are about 100 calories in a 150ml glass of red wine. It can add up .

leannejulia

I'm glad that i am not the only one that has a drink. :D I sometimes feel that we have to denign
our selfs so much why can't i have a drink as long as i'm with my friend who know about my condition. I try not to drink during the week but i often have a drink at the weekends. a bottle of wine shared with my husband but often alittle more. i get a hypo at 11am the next moring if i drink a lot more than that but i no it is going to happen, i can time it to the minuet.

Well cheers to every one and hears to not giving up drinking because of the cals, alchohol, weight, diabetics, over concerned family etc provinding we are all sencible. :wink: