How much carb to raise blood sugar hypo and non hypo?

skipbifferty

Hi everybody. I've always wondered if the amount of carbohydrate need to raise bs by a mmol (for example) is the same if you're having a hypo than if you're not? I know that when the body is having a hypo it will start to use up stored sugar so I guess that effects it. Is it then better to work it out by testing when not having a hypo and then when you're having a hypo to assume it is less?

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
skipbifferty said:
Hi everybody. I've always wondered if the amount of carbohydrate need to raise bs by a mmol (for example) is the same if you're having a hypo than if you're not? I know that when the body is having a hypo it will start to use up stored sugar so I guess that effects it. Is it then better to work it out by testing when not having a hypo and then when you're having a hypo to assume it is less?

I was always told that 10g of carbohydrate would raise BG by 2/3 mmol. 1 unit of insulin lowers BG by 2/3 mmol.

If I drop below 4, I try to have just 100ml of a sugary drink which is about 10g of carbohydrate, this raises sugar levels in about 10 minutes. I've had a hypo where I've been unconscious (I never pass out unless I drop below 1.8) and it's taken my body 15 minutes to release stored sugar and for me to regain consciousness (not meaning I'm out of a hypo).

After a hypo though, I've always been told and thought that I'd rather be a little higher (9 or 10) afterwards than leave my body to recover from a hypo without me knowing how long it'll take nor how effective it'll be.

Garthion

I go by the rule of 15, 15g of FAST acting carbs followed by a test in 15 minutes (if hypo) this could be check when not hypo to see how it affect you I suppose but I'd rather not just have random carbs unless it was with a proper meal.

I've only passed out once when really low (1.2) but fortunately I was in my GPs having blood taken for a test so was given a glucagon shot by the nurse.

Johnd666

If you want a theoretical answer then 100 divided into your total daily dose. 1 unit of fast acting insulin should decrease it by the answer. But it may not work so keep a record and make adustments

skipbifferty

Thanks for all those answers. I should have probably said that, for me, the 100 rule (and similar) doesn't really work for me. Lucypiee's answer sounds most relevant for me, though 1 unit only lowers BG by 1.5-2 mmol for me. Cheers everyone and I hope diabetes control is going well for everyone. :D

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me it depends on how severe the hypo is, in the past (well recent) i've had some terrible hypos where its taken around 50g of sugar to put me to 7mmol.
If i'm not hypo, 10g of carb (in toast form) will push me up around 3mmols, that being the same that 1unit of novorapid will lower me by approx 3mmols (though less if i'm sat down still and also if i'm unwell or pregnant due to resistance)