How much does stress add to your BG?

Howski

So had a real poor day in work today. Was pretty stressy ...... checked my BG 3 hours after breakfast (could not do the 2 hour) and it was 7.9! I have been getting about 6 at the two hour and yesterday was a 5.4

How much would a bad day add to my BG?

Dobbs

I wonder the same thing. Had a lot of work-related stress last week (unusually) and my levels have been higher than normal lately.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I was told high stress levels cause high cortisol leveles, and high cortisol levels raise blood glucose.

Stress to our body can come from various causes with illness and too much pressure at work being two of them. If it becomes too much of a problem it might be worth talking to your GP about it before you ened up needing a prolonged period off work.

Howski

Thanks for the website - I'll digest the info when I get back from my walk.

Thanks Hobs I was already diag with work related stress (before the d)and have actioned it with both my GP and work - although works response was uh middleing! Although I think its something to add to the list of things to talk to my GP about - although I have to admit I am less than impressed with him so far. See to me I do wonder if the stress I have had at work was the tipping point for everything. Not that I would not have got d but my blood tests a year or two before this job were fine.... although changes to my "life style" with the new job did not help!

Other than minimising the stress is there anything else I can do? I'm tempted to ask for insulin - on the basis that I can then control whats happening better than met on the times where either I fail or my body is giving me higher than usual results. I don't really care too much about needles. Whats the NHS's response to requests like this? I am currently only on 2x 500g of met. My A1c was pretty bad on diag and it seems thats all my GP cares about but I feel I'm more than heading in the right direction. Do they view it as a "last resort" or are they accepting that it can be used for better control no matter how good my A1c is?