How Much have we gained and what we going to do about it?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Shock, Horror!

I've put nearly 5 pounds on since Xmas eve!

I have taken the first step though in getting on the scales, accepting it and thinking about what to do to drop it off again. I think in prevoius years, this is how I gained weight as I didn't even own any scales and carried on in blissfull ignorance.

I've not eaten anything bad or poor, just too much of the good things - Turkey, Ham,nuts of all kinds and too many Cheeses to mention! My BG has stayed under control all through xmas which is good.

I am starting today with a big walk with the dog and cutting down my portion sizes. I hope to drop it off in 2 to 3 weeks.

How has everyone else done?

Carl

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Re: How Much have we gained and what we going to do about it

I had three days off regime and put three pounds on :roll: Climbed back on the wagon on Monday and have lost one pound this week so far . I did enjoy tucking into naughty food but have to be honest, it didnt suit my system at all .

jaykay

Hate to tell you, didn't put on any weight...but I did stop losing so I guess it's kind of the same thing. Just going to go back to my virtuous ways. I did stop exercising tho', so that's definitely going back on my daily to do list!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Exactly the same as for Jaykay. I didn't put on any weight in spite of having carefully chosen treats (quantities being key). I also dropped the exercise when I had the flu and haven't managed (lack of willpower) to start it again yet. Maybe a New Year's resolution to make?

jaykay

Daisy, we'll do it together! :D I'm starting on Monday. I have the time set aside and nothing else happening. That's my ready, steady, GO day :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Jaykay, you're on!

C

catherinecherub

No weight gained.

Instead of worrying about what has been eaten between Christmas and the New Year, put your energies into ensuring a good diet between New Year and Christmas. :wink:

Dippy3103

I had three days off. I havn't weighed myself and am back on the plan. I willhave tonight off but not go too mad.
I have been thinking of joining weight watchers in the new year. I need the discipline of weekly weigh ins to shame me into behaving!
Perhaps we could start a thread in weight loss forum for us cuddly members to report our weekly losses on our sensible plans and generally help each other along. Wonder how much collective weight we can shed before Easter?

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...

I was 18 stone 5 at diagnosis May 2009 and got my weight down to 13 stone 2 pounds. The last few months my weight has crept up (14stone 7) and I am worried about complacency, as my recent hba1c was 5.4%.
I have promised my DN that I will be 12 stone 7 at my next annual review in May.

All the best - Steve.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes

Hi All,

2 days gone, 2 pounds lost so just 3 pounds to get back to where I was. I am determined not to let the weight creep back on me again.

2010 was a big year of change for me - diagnosis in January and over 5 stone lost since. For me, the Easter Plan is to lose another stone so I will be down to 12 stone with my BMI at 23.

My challenge for 2011 long term is to 'tone things up' a little ready to hit the beach in August and have the bottle to take off my T shirt and bear all without the shame.

Good luck all

Xarl

anniep

I took the plunge this morning and got on the scales. I've had a good (ie bad) christmas and can feel that my trousers are tighter.

So I got on with trepidation, only to find that I have not put on any weight at all!! now I don't believe that for a moment, I think that perhaps my body may be being slow to adjust and I can expect a big surge next week!!

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes

Well Done, anniep.

I'm on the straight and narrow again and magaged shed what I put on over xmas. I think it worked not obsessing over what I ate over xmas just dealing with it when it was over.

Its easy to let this Diabetes rule your life if you let it but its only for a short while and no real harm done.

Take Care

Carl

anniep

Cheers Carl

But I don't know that I deserve it, I ate badly for a week :oops: But oh it was so good! I had been working hard and I was very tired and just wanted a holiday from diabtetes, fed up with the constant watching and counting and planning, if you know what I mean? I hadn't even relaxed over the summer holidays and sat and watched my famil yeat ice creams, at the beach, in the heat.

So I had roasties, all the things from the take away that I have stopped having, ice cream, I even raided the kids sweets big style.

I am seriouly half expecting that there will be a delayed reaction in a day or two and stones will suddenly appear around my waist. :shock:

But I have taken to heart somethign I read here - "don't worry about what you eat between Christmas and New Year, worry about what you eat between New Year and Christmas."

That will do me!

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes

Well,

I've started doing a bit of running. I found a podcast from the NHS called 'couch to 5k'. Its really good and when you download it to your IPod it has 9 weeks worth of 30 minute sessions. It starts off with a 5 minute walm up walk and a lady is telling you what to do and playing music to set the pace.

Its great and not too demanding. Its a combination of walking and gentle jogging to build you up to a 30 minute run over the 9 weeks.

I've just finished week 1 and feeling better already. The instructions even tell you how best to run so you can set a pace and avoid joint injury.

There is a 5k run locally in May and all being well, I intend entering for it. Incidently, My Blood pressure has dropped to below 130 today for the first time since I have been monitoring myself at home over the past year.

I am determined to get in great shape and live life to its absolute max in spite of the DB!

Carl

anniep

Well I got away with it over christmas - went mad and no weight gain, but went on holiday last week and didn't even go mad just a couple of treats all week. AND I was quite active swimming and walking, got home and I have put on 3 pounds!!!!!!

Retribution or delayed reaction to the christmas excesses perhaps?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes

Hi anniep,

It catches us up in the end doesn't it! Not to worry, It'll soon drop off with some corrective action )and no treats for a few days!!)

Good luck