How much insulin is everyone taking?

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take background levemir split half morning and half before bed then carb count for my humalog each meal time usually between 2.0 to 10 units depending on if high carbs meals

samantha13

I take levimer 20u at bedtime and 8u in the morning. My novorapid ratios are currently 2:10 am and 1:10 other times.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Total daily dose between 20-25 units a day on low carb. I'm on a pump.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Currently up to 90 units of novorapid a day on my pump due to pregnancy, before pregnancy around 50units a day

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Approx. 28 units/day, eat what I want or need during the day. Pump user :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has varied between 23-29 units a day in the last month. (use a pump) Amount varies according to exercise levels and what/how much I'm eating

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10 units of Lantus per day and NovoRapid roughly at 1 unit for every 12g of carbs.

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on split dosage of background insulin Levemir - 28units in the morning and 19units before bed. I carb count for every meal for which I take quick acting insulin Humalog. That dosage can vary daily depending on what I eat, I do 1unit for every 1 +1/2 carb portion.

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm very new to insulin. I'm taking about 5-6 units of Novorapid before meals & 12 units of Lantus before bed. I'm not to clued up on carb counting. Has anyone not done the course? Is there a book I can rather buy? Thanks in advance x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 13 units of Levemir at night and my NovoRapid ratio is typically 1 unit for 9gm/carb

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very new to insulin. I'm taking about 5-6 units of Novorapid before meals & 12 units of Lantus before bed. I'm not to clued up on carb counting. Has anyone not done the course? Is there a book I can rather buy? Thanks in advance x
I'm not the right person to suggest suitable books but carb-counting is pretty easy. Most are started by taking 1 unit of rapid for each 10gm/carb; this is your Bolus ratio. Once you know/best-guess how many carbs there are in your meal you set the rapid based on that ratio e.g. 5 units for 50gm/carb. Your 5-6 units is OK for a typical meal, but moving it up and down as needed will provide the best control. If in doubt go slightly lower on the units until you gain experience with the meter and the carbs in typical meals. My nice DN gave me a Roche leaflet with food pictures for 10gm portions.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Has anyone not done the course? Is there a book I can rather buy? Thanks in advance x

I did the DAFNE course several years ago and found it worthwhile.

You should ask your DSN to put your name down for the next available course, but if you want to learn the basics of carb counting then register with the following:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

As for a good book on type 1, Think Like a Pancreas is a great read, easy to understand and covers most aspects of type 1 diabetes management.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 4 units basal twice a day, and usually about 2 u Novorapid with each meal. I low carb.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have 10u levemir
6u in the morning 4u before bed
then approx 12u humalog throughout the day
i eat carbs! carbs are yummy :)

Reactions: 4 people

MrBrightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
8 units Lantus before bed. 1:10 ratio for Humalog throughout the day as needed, usually around 10 units total.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It depends - everyone is different. My background level is roughly 20u per day, and my total daily amount varies from 28u to 75u depending on what I've eaten.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
average 50 units a day on novomix 30, 30 units for morning, 20 for afternoon, dosage slightly increasing due to high readings plus im new on this insulin so I will need to experiment and see if my carb:unit ratio is what it should be

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I'm on Novorapid and Levemir, so it averages about 30 units per day.