How much insulin US airport?

Talo

Hi guys! I will be immigrating to the US next month and I have some supplies to take with me so that I have enough until I figure health insurance.

I have been doing some research and I found that you are only allowed to take a 90 day supply. But i'm not sure if this applies to holidays or also to immigration.

Does anyone have experience with this? Do they really count the amount you are taking?

Thanks in advance

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Believe it does ... but isn't this awfully late in the piece to be leaving it?

Reactions: KK123 and Talo

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in the US and I've never had them count it. The problem here is the different airports will check different things sometimes. But I've never had them even ask for any explanation about any amount. But my first question is how will they know what a 90 day supply is?

So for one thing ask your doctor to write a letter at the highest amount you could ever use in a day times 90. Like when you're sick you have to use double and then times that by 90? A cover letter?

There are a couple of people that travel a lot, hopefully one comes along. And keep in mind bring a prescription with you. If you don't have insurance and need to buy insulin the cheapest way is to get it in Canada, second cheapest is to mail order it from Canada. I believe if you mail order it they still want a prescription to do it.

Reactions: Talo

Talo

I'm in the US and I've never had them count it. The problem here is the different airports will check different things sometimes. But I've never had them even ask for any explanation about any amount. But my first question is how will they know what a 90 day supply is?

So for one thing ask your doctor to write a letter at the highest amount you could ever use in a day times 90. Like when you're sick you have to use double and then times that by 90? A cover letter?

There are a couple of people that travel a lot, hopefully one comes along. And keep in mind bring a prescription with you. If you don't have insurance and need to buy insulin the cheapest way is to get it in Canada, second cheapest is to mail order it from Canada. I believe if you mail order it they still want a prescription to do it.

Thanks Marie. Yes, I'm taking a letter from my doctor specifying how much I use, and as you say we will consider the highest amount. But even then, I could still take more insulin. But I'm gonna keep it right to the amount that the prescription says.

I will be living in Colorado, which has a cap on insulin prices. Hopefully that will help. I don't think a prescription from my Argentinean doctor will be valid in the US to get insulin. I am getting some job interviews online so hopefully I can go with a job.

Another issue is how to keep that much insulin cool during the trip. I was thinking of frio packs at first but I would have to take a bunch of them. Maybe a pack with ice gels will be better.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would have to read more on it, but I believe Colorado caps the charge at $100 a month "co pay" for insured customers only. Plus I bet any insurance company in Colorado is limiting which insulin you can get. They already do that anyway to save costs, but since it doesn't stop what the manufacturers charging the insurance companies what they want they aren't going to want to pay the difference if they can help it.

Canada doesn’t require prescriptions, but the pharmacies there require it to mail into the US. Not sure if they will accept a Argentine one to do so.

As a back up if you ever need to the old fashioned Humilin insulin is available at Walmart with no prescription required and only $25 a vial. Not as easy to use but it works!

Talo

I would have to read more on it, but I believe Colorado caps the charge at $100 a month "co pay" for insured customers only. Plus I bet any insurance company in Colorado is limiting which insulin you can get. They already do that anyway to save costs, but since it doesn't stop what the manufacturers charging the insurance companies what they want they aren't going to want to pay the difference if they can help it.

Canada doesn’t require prescriptions, but the pharmacies there require it to mail into the US. Not sure if they will accept a Argentine one to do so.

As a back up if you ever need to the old fashioned Humilin insulin is available at Walmart with no prescription required and only $25 a vial. Not as easy to use but it works!

Thank you for the info! I'm gonna do my best to get insurance ASAP, either by getting a job as soon as I go there, or by adding me to my wifes plan. I'm on humalog insulin. I hope I can get it at a reasonable price.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thank you for the info! I'm gonna do my best to get insurance ASAP, either by getting a job as soon as I go there, or by adding me to my wifes plan. I'm on humalog insulin. I hope I can get it at a reasonable price.

You better have deep pockets. I know their system VERY well given my wife is American and I intended to emigrate. Jobs in the U.S. do NOT always include health insurance as a bonus.

Talo

You better have deep pockets. I know their system VERY well given my wife is American and I intended to emigrate. Jobs in the U.S. do NOT always include health insurance as a bonus.
No deep pocket unfortunately. I am interviewing for jobs at a university that seems to have good health plans for employees. Of course it's the first thing I will be looking at when applying. Also, I'm gonna keep my Arg health insurance just in case.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I think just about any job with a larger company offers insurance. It’s just the costs will vary and deductibles vary. Colleges generally have very good coverage for reasonable costs.

I get all the Humalog I need for $100 every 3 months through our insurance. An insurance plan through a large company or the university system should be similar. But you have choices usually on what plans you pick.

Usually one of the cheapest routes is being added to a spouses plan. But they usually will want you to get your own if it’s offered at your workplace.

Talo

I think just about any job with a larger company offers insurance. It’s just the costs will vary and deductibles vary. Colleges generally have very good coverage for reasonable costs.

I get all the Humalog I need for $100 every 3 months through our insurance. An insurance plan through a large company or the university system should be similar. But you have choices usually on what plans you pick.

Usually one of the cheapest routes is being added to a spouses plan. But they usually will want you to get your own if it’s offered at your workplace.

$100 every 3 months sound great!

My wife just looked at the plans offered at the university Im interviewing and she says they are really good. We are considering the option of adding me to my wifes but hopefully I can get a job beforehand and go with it.

Thanks again for all the info! :)