How much Protein?

How much protein, per day, do you aim to eat?

• Total voters
I suggest you view either of the gentlemen's lectures on YouTube. Fung is a consultant nephrologist who has turned his hand (very successfully) to treating his patients with obesity/Diabetes with diet and fasting. Phillip's is a sports physiologist (not sure if that is his title but he is an expert in his field) and his especial interest is protein wrt to muscle and metabolism.

Thank you so much for your time! Much appreciated.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All this science is going straight over my head! :joyful:
I don’t weight or measure my high protein foods, infact the only element I measure/count is carbs. However I do notice if I have a meat heavy late dinner my fasting blood sugar will be up a bit the next morning. My HbA1c, liver and kidney function tests last month were all normal, so I’ll just carry on the way I am! :happy:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Carry on regardless. :)

I no longer weigh or count anything, but when I was, I counted protein, carbs, fats and fibre. (easy when using Carbs & Cals) Looking back at my diary I was round about 100g a day and not deliberately restricted at all. I just went with the flow and ate it. It could be more than that now, possibly, since I increased my fats when I wanted to stop losing weight, which included cheese, may more eggs, and other fatty protein sources.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Nobody has mentioned those with Type 1 diabetes. On a low carb diet i find amount of protein intake is relevant to carb counting.
I aim for 0.8 to 1 x BW in kg for protein per day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody has mentioned those with Type 1 diabetes. On a low carb diet i find amount of protein intake is relevant to carb counting.
I aim for 0.8 to 1 x BW in kg for protein per day.

I wonder if T1 is different somehow, but I can't understand why it should be.

For one thing, protein takes a lot longer to convert to glucose than carbs, including slow release carbs. It can be the next day before any rise can be noticed. For another thing, our bodies prefer glucose, so it is only when glucose is low that protein will convert to glucose, so it should only affect those on very low carb diets. Although having said all that, T1s can be low on glucose if they have over injected without having to be on a low carb diet. I'm rambling, but I understand what I mean. :)