1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How often do u change needles for ur pen ?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by miszu, Aug 29, 2017.

1. miszu

miszu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told to change it after every 9-12 injections, but is it necessary ? I change every second day just so its new and clean and nice.

2. hurf0rd

hurf0rd Parent · Active Member

We're talking about injecting insulin, right? I use a new needle every time, twice a day. The needles are BD Autoshield, which are single use by the manufacturer's design.

I'm a bit inconsistent, because the lancet I use for pricking/testing, I only change about once a month, although I test myself once a day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I changed my needle when it hurts or the preset stream goes in all different directions.

Lancet, when it hurt and I can't get blood

• Like Like x 2
  4. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use the needle maximum a few times. I know you are supposed to change after every use but they work fine 1-2 times more. The design of the caps for my needles prevents you from putting the lid back on the pen so I remove it for practicality as the cap can be dislodged whilst travelling exposing the needle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Like @Kristin251. Had one box of lancets since 2014 and still 3/4 full!!

Not had a prescription of needles for 21/2 years now.. box still over half full.

• Like Like x 1
  6. luceeloo

luceeloo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And here's me feeling like a dirt-bag if I run short of needles and have to reuse on once!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. miszu

Okay, Im not worried then. Seems its all different for everyone, but one for sure if it hurts or anything change. Good. Thank u everyone ! ;)

@luceeloo Lol. The things we do to survive !

• Like Like x 1
  8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Before moving to a pump I was using a new needle with each injection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. donnellysdogs

I dont understand you actually being advised to use 9-10 times though by @miszu.. normally health people insist needles are changed every time...

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. miszu

@donnellysdogs In hosp they told me so... Well, I make sure to change every second day, but sometimes more. I disinfect the area Im injecting every time so I dont know if thats enough...? Maybe Im a dirtbag too ... ? Jk, really dont know how its suppossed to be, thats why Im asking. And thank u all for answering !

11. donnellysdogs

Gosh, honestly. I've had mord than10 hospitals in 30+ years (3 in last 3 years) and I have never heard a nurse or Consultant say to re-use!

I do actually agree with your hospital!

I'll have to look up the official NICE guidelines now. Perhaps they have changed??

Honestly, I must use one needle for at least 30 times. I do change my insulin vials every month even if they arent empty....so I change needles then, but some like my Novorapid I do at least 4 small injections a day. My Insulatard injection is only 1-2 units at 4am and this is the one that gets a guaranteed 28-31 uses. I change that needle and vial on 1st of each month. My treaiba inection is also the same change each month.

I think I must also join you in the dirtbag!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

• Like Like x 1
  13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Quite surprised they said this to you @miszu , usually they are quick to remind patients that the pen needles are for single-use only.

I think as someone who is new to diabetes it would be a good to get into the habit of changing your needle more regularly......even if you don't do it after every injection (I'm speaking as someone who's had lipohypertrophy issues before as I once re-used needles myself, especially when first diagnosed as the practice was actively encouraged then by HCP's).

• Like Like x 1
  14. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

When I do my BG test I change the needle every time. The instructions tell me to in the handbook that came with the pen

15. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I found out that reusing needle tips was a major cause of lipohypertrophy I started changing them every time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. miszu

Okay well, been diabetic for almost a year now but I never thought about this needle thing until I saw someone here saying that a box of 100 would last 2 years. So Im happy I asked. I ll try to change them more often, takes no time anyway ! Thanks. X

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook