How often do you see a clinician about prediabetes?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a flurry of diagnosis confusion and excitement over the past year (a few red herrings got tossed in for fun), I'm hoping to settle into the new normal as a prediabetic. My GP has me on standing order to get FBG and HbA1C quarterly, and I'm hoping I only have to go see him once a year unless something seems amiss.

What's your maintenance medical regime, for those diagnosed with prediabetes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are lucky to have quarterly blood tests without a diabetes diagnosis. Your doctor sounds a good one.
The norm for those actually diagnosed with type 2 is quarterly tests initially, reducing to 6 monthly once levels have stabilised. I think for pre-diabetics it is generally up to the doctor.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't get any medical advice when I was pre-diabetic. And very little once I was diagnosed diabetic, except for being referred for DESMOND course and retinopathy test. After the 3 month retest I will only be getting an HbA1c test every 12 months.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Prem51, sounds like your diabetes is well under control and that is why you are getting your test every 12 months, if not then it is every 3 months.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was supposed to be called in annually apparently.
But nobody ever mentioned this, so when they skipped a few years, I didn't notice.
Ended up having 3 tests in 10 years.
Good job I was already low carbing, eh?

This was back in the days before I realised that I have to take total responsibility for my health, and can't rely on overworked NHS staff to call me in. I also check every test result and read up on every test.

Well worth the time and effort.

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Keesha Thanks, it was due to finding this forum that I learnt how to lower my bs levels. If I had relied on the scant NHS advice I would probably be on meds now. The OP is fortunate to have such a supportive GP, and should be able to avoid becoming diabetic. I wish I had been given more advice and support when I was pre-diabetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Every three months, thats the norm here in Switzerland but the healthcare system is different

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like it's all over the map then. No real standard.

I've had about quarterly appts in the past year, plus my endo consults, because I'm some sort of weird and atypical case (and pressed for answers since things were getting worse) so for a while they were trying to figure out what was going on. But now I think we're just into maintenance unless/until things deteriorate. Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon so I can stay out of the doctor's office .

Sampat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here in Luxembourg my GP gives me blood tests every 6 months, I find it an excellent motivator to eat properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

sud5nala

I measure FPG and A1c every three to six months. A prediabetic should also regularly test every 1 to 2 years for easily testable complications: eye exam; eGFR for kidney function. If you have money, you can add noninvasive artery scans for atherosclerosis progression.

Last year, I had had A1c's 6 months apart, both 37, down from 44. A sudden substantial weight loss made me test again. From 37 to 43 in 2 months. This upset me, especially since I thought I had been maintaining the new good habits. I asked for another test after only 2 months; up again to 44. Mysteriously, it's now 41.

In the last 3 years, the A1c has been quite up and down, the fasting rather steady. Measure both, then.

I don't get any of the major complications or the minor ones I'm reading about, like thrush. If they happen, I'll rush to get new FPG and A1c.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got my new plan. My A1C is now good (thanks metformin + LCHF) but fasting still high. Come back in 6 mos, but test every 3 and come in sooner if the 3mo test is substantially worse,b/c high likelihood of LADA.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent almost 10 years in the pre-diabetic range with nothing other than blood tests confirming that! I got really depressed about it - it felt like a sentence hanging over my head and no constructive, active support for addressing it. I look back on it as one long, slow uphill battle with no rewards.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I was told that I was 'Borderline' diabetic in those days, and after 2 years with no blood tests or urine tests told the GP I had all the symptoms worse than before and he arranged for me to have an HBA1C blood test - was finally diagnosed "Officially" in the year 2000 I was Type 2.