How often to test?

ACMH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My 3yo son has been diagnosed with T1 for a month now and I was just wondering how often everyone else checks BG?

At the moment I check before eating, two hours after eating, at 8pm when I give levemir (bedtime) and then normally when I head to bed (between 10 and 12).

Do you think I could be testing too much? His levels aren't always that stable (high) so I would rather er on the side of caution but just wondering if I need to relax a bit?

Thanks!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm an adult with Type 1, but the amount of testing sounds sensible to me :) I do a similar testing regime and generally test around 7-10 times a day, and occasionally in the middle of the night.

None of my children have diabetes, but if they did I'd certainly be testing in a similar way to you - for my child and for my own peace of mind too.

It sounds like you've got off to a good start :)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm t1 and my 2yr old was diagnosed in Dec.
I probably test her roughly the same as you. I think it depends on when you are giving blouses too- I only give her one definitely in a morning about same time as levemir then depends on sugars as to whether I would give more (she is a difficult eater). Then I would test more.
The blood tests actually bother me more than injections-her fingers so small!

ACMH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys!

Sarah wouldn't that be amazing? Or even just a continuous glucose monitor alongside a pump! Although I suppose that is then the artificial pancreas they are in the midst of testing!

malhotrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Abbott informed me yesterday that Freestyle Libre sensors are now available for children...may be you could consider this?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We are able to get cgm for my daughter but I'm reluctant. Mainly as when I tried it I felt it was very uncomfortable and you still have to test twice daily. I'll see how the pump goes first then consider it maybe.
Thankyou