How old were you when you first diagnosed with type 1?? And how long do you have it??

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people, liars, bad time keeping and mushrooms
Today is my 15th anniversary! I was 12, 4 days shy of my 13th birthday. And I still had my cake

Reactions: 2 people

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
I was 7 when I was diagnosed with T1 & I have had it for 21 Years now.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I started on insulin 39 years ago this April. I was 12. Bruv diagnosed T1 5 years before me, (think he was about 5?)

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed Feb 2014 was 28. Mi hero son was diagnosed 4 months after me in June aged 15 months. Just had his 3rd b'day

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyB

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Not me but my little boy .. Diagnosed at 21months now 6months in .. Interesting to read others ages / years since diagnosis

Joyous

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow it just shows it can be done!
I was diagnosed in 1972 aged 13 and I was in hospital all of my six weeks school summer holiday I was told I had to eat at least 5 oranges a day for a week or so to get my potassium levels up mnnn still don't understand that but hey. I also had 1 stainless steel syringe which I had to clean out with surgical spirit each time and I had to test my wee no blood monitors in them days! Everything had to be weighed and measured out carbohydrate wise and I had to take my own lunch to school and eat it with the older girls in a seperate annexe as I wasn't allowed in with the other kids during lunch. I always carried sugar lumps yes I know ha X
I sometimes was called names like dio and this did bother me Infact I think that was one of the reasons I sat having my lunch with the older girls ( it's all coming back now) ha
I used to be on lots of insulin then soluble and a cloudy one ........but now I am on hardly any ....... How things have progressed
I have been married 32 years and my husband is one in a million he knows me oh so well re diabetes wise as sometimes I do not get the usual symptoms when my sugar is low but he knows ...........
So I just would like to say to any newly diagnosed diabetics or anyone having problems hang on in there we are ALL here for you

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
March 1972 when I was 3 years old! So nearly 45 years! I also used Clinitest urine testing and a glass syringe with a large thick needle!! Have had my share of problems but not as many as it could be!! Lots of times in hospital during my teens. Loads of Hypo too. Have had Ulcers and one led to me losing a toe 4 years ago. But I have 4 sons and a grandson with a granddaughter on the way!!! My husband knows when I am going low. He's my Guardian Angel!! I find stress causes Hypos but that's something I can't control. But am in good control since doing DAFNE. That was the best!!!

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diagnosed T1 this year, aged 68. Was treated as T2 for 3 years before that but despite all the pills they could throw at me, my HbA1c kept climbing.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I was 4 when I was diagnosed. This was back in 1966 and my parents were completely oblivious to the condition so I had gone un-diagnosed probably for quite sometime before I was rushed to the hospital. I was in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit with an IV and for the first month, after that I demonstrated rapid improvement - spent my 5th birthday in hospital but by February was released. I've been living with it now for 50 years. I have almost died three times that I'm aware of .... all during my University Student years where I was leading a life of debauchery (toured in a band, drank lots of alcohol, smoked drugs etc) The three times I almost died was from low Blood Sugars. After 26 years of living with type 1 I slowed down a bit and we had kids. Completely changed my life style around because I had kids and now that I'm in my 50th year of living with type 1 - kids have grown up and moved away from home - I'm enjoying life, physically active, still rather young looking and no complications ... so far. As twisted as this may sound to a non diabetic - I'm Lucky and very thankful.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just turned 13, now i just turned 30 so about 17 years ago. I got released from the hospital on the 24th of december, right before Christmas. If i remember correctly i got admitted to the hospital the day before my French exam so i had that going for me :D

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
1 week after my 18th birthday so all my adult life!!

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got T1 just before Christmas last year, 17 December 2015, at age 20. It was such a good year until that happened. In contrast 2016 has been the worst year yet, with being nearly blind with cataracts(sorted now) and neuropathy quickly developing 2 to 3 weeks after being diagnosed. Trying to fight on anyway but it's not easy

nav_97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
diagnosed 1 week before my 18th birthday. However that was due to a delay from the GP by almost a month after contacting him about my symptoms and the fact I could barely read much less concentrate on exams at the time.

ian 06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
17th November 2013,Initially was treated for type2,only the last few months they realised am type 1.Hbac1 58.