How old were you when you were diagnosed?

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

• 0-5

Votes: 50 12.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • 11-15

Votes: 35 8.9%
  • 16-21

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • 22-30

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 52 13.3%
  • 51-60

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • 60+

Votes: 37 9.4%

• Total voters

mpe

44 type 2. Given a random test in A&E (referred due to possible acute Glaucoma). Family history of T2, but dad was 60 when he was diagnosed.

kangoo

Type 1 when I was 27. Went 3 months of hot summer undiagnosed despite going to GP every 2 weeks complaining of feeling sick. Lady at my work diagnosed me, her meter showed my blood glucose was 29.7.

I was working my notice at the time. Called new employer with the news and they suggested I stayed in old job. Asked them why urine sample given during my recruitment medical had not flagged problem. They withdrew their suggestion.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

taffy_63

I was diagnosed as T1 a week before my 10th birthday - hardest thing ever to have all your friends at your party eating everything in sight, and all I could have was 2 rounds of sandwiches, a few crisps and as a special treat a small fairy cake followed by a glass of milk! Never mind - 40 years later i have 2 grown up sons, a grandson and an insulin pump so I can eat anything I like.

gingerjk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Two weeks after the big 50!!!!. Type 1, came as a big shock. One year on and still coming to terms with it.

coco4

55 years old Type 1 2 years ago this June. Came out of the blue, symptoms seemed to appear overnight. Not confirmed or diagnosed til a week later after developing DKA night in A & E, week in intensive care and high dependancy unit. Still cannot come to terms with it get very angry and resentful :evil:

K80smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Heights, Paul McCartney,
10 years old, had type 1 for 24 years and am not doing bad considering. My insulin pump is best decision I ever made :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Kategreen47

My son Nat was diagnosed 10 years ago tomorrow. It was a horrendous time. For me and him. He was 6. If I could have seen into the future I would have been far happier!! He is happy and healthy and doing well at school! He is quite tall and muscly and is girl
Magnet! I also have a beautiful 14 year old "normal" son Sam. Nat never complains about his diabetes. He just gets on with it. With a few reminders from me!! Have to have cupboards full of haribos

ValT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
T2 diagnosed at 55 years
On 4 x 500 metformin, and 10mg atorvostatin per day.
Eat low carb (below 120g per day) and bg reasonably well controlled :)