1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How soon does metformin take effect?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Sugarmouse 21, Jan 28, 2018.

1. TrevA

TrevA Type 2 · Newbie

I'm also recently diagnosed - Aug 2017. Started taking Metformin and my HbA1c dropped from 75 to 58 in 3 months. However, it seems this wasn't good enough and the Diabetic Nurse put my dose up to 4 tablets a day (2000mg total). I've been slowly adjusting my diet - cut out pasta and potatoes but I still have cereals (Shreddies) for breakfast, but few carbs for the rest of the day, usually salad or an omelette for lunch and chicken with more salad for tea. My weight is starting to come down, I've lost a stone in a month after putting a bit of weight on over Christmas.

I do have a blood sugar meter (Accuchek) but I don't use it that much. I find testing first thing in the morning and comparing over a few days/weeks shows if your blood sugar is dropping. Mine was 11 but has now dropped to 7.5. I am trying to cut the carbs even more but find the diet a bit restrictive - eggs or a fry/grill up for breakfast gets a little monotonous.

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Hi and welcome,

Metformin really doesn't do a great deal to lower blood sugar levels. It is diet that will do that. Metformin helps a little, but not a lot. You did well to drop from 75 to 58 in 3 months - cutting out the pasta and spuds will have done that for you. :)

What would help you is testing your meals, before eating and 2 hours later, and keeping any rises down as low as possible. I imagine your Shreddies breakfasts may be a bit of a shock. (nothing more monotonous than cardboard cereals!!) The idea of testing is to find foods that you can't cope with, and also ones you can cope with. It is also a good idea to keep a food diary including portion sizes, and to record your before and after levels alongside. This way you can tweak things appropriately once you see patterns emerging. With a bit of effort you can get your next HbA1c down to more acceptable levels and avoid the possibility of even more meds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

4. Olufisayo

Olufisayo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you!

5. letstalk1

letstalk1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its all about the food you eat , if you do low carb - you will lose weight.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook