Type 2 Low carb breakfast

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello looking for ideas please other than things revolving around eggs - in all formats or bacon & sausages. It’s the meal I struggle with most. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I couldn't imagine life without eggs and bacon!

I used to have a full fat Greek yogurt and flaxseed with 2 large cut up strawberries or half a dozen raspberries but had to give this up as it was keeping my levels up until lunch time (interfering with a liver dump). I stopped and now just have a coffee with double cream. That keeps my levels in the 5s all morning and no more liver dumps, and no hunger. You could try the yogurt and use a meter to see how it affects your levels.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello looking for ideas please other than things revolving around eggs - in all formats or bacon & sausages. It’s the meal I struggle with most. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I quite liked double cream on nuts when I tried it. Nothing like as sickly as I thought. A sort of high fat, low carb muesli. I did sometimes add 2-3 raisins chopped up for a more muesli-like effect but they weren't necessary.

Reactions: Speedbird

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One option is just to cook a bit more for your evening meal, then reheat it.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat anything you would eat at any other time for breakfast - most of the world does, it's just (??) our anglo-saxon / American influenced societies where we think we have to eat bits of stuff that looks like torn up cardboard out of a cardboard box or bacon and egg. How about a bit of left over last night's dinner, a bowl of soup, cold meats and a tomato, some cheese and a stick of celery.
Sally

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Reactions: Mark_1

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
75533C69-4AEB-4B2A-8E29-6D16BF2C60EA.png
Where do you get coconut cream?
Tesco!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food. It’s a new mindset not to associate certain foods with certain meals but try it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In the words of that great man Ace Rimmer "smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast"

Reactions: Brunneria

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@imperp I use some of my carbs to have raspberries or blackberries with either yoghurt or cream. I can't face cooking first thing. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on how hungry I might be - if I am I'll eat or drink whatever takes my fancy or is convenient or ready to hand, but often a mug of coffee with cream or just a drink of water is all i want, but I've never been a great breakfast eater.

While a bacon & egg, etc breakfast is possibly the UK norm, as already mentioned other countries break their fasts with different food: e.g. cold meat and/or cheeses, pastries, or cake - I ate yummy honey cake for breakfast years ago on holiday in Greece, and mouth puckering yoghurt from little bottles in Yugoslavia. But often just a coffee with cream ( or added butter &cocnut oil - that infamous Bulletproof Coffee) can actually keep you satisfied until lunch time - or possibly even longer. Low carb higher fat should keep you well satisfied, so it's not always necessary to start eating early in the day.

Robbity

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi paleo muesli.
5.5g carbs per 35g portion
Nothing like ‘normal’ muesli - not an oat in sight!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I had grape tomatoes, radishes, black olives, sweet red peppers, half an avocado and a coconut dark chocolate square. All was delish and quite filling. As I've said before, food is food.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
kippers and chopped cooked cauliflower, and mayonnaise - or other fish, even other veges, sometimes salad - or a stir fry of courgette mushroom and sweet peppers, maybe leftover chicken thighs from dinner - even a chop or steak - sometimes even a toasted Lidl protein roll with lots of red Leicester cheese.