Type 2 How soon to test after eating?

drzac2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
boy/girl bands
I have recently been diagnosed with T2 and am in the process of trying to identify what foods I can and can't eat. Have read a lot about carbohydrates and reduction thereof. I love Wheetabix as breakfast but now find that cereals are no good :-(

So in order to find out what it good for me and what is not, I want to increase the monitoring of my BS so the question is, how soon after eating should I do the test?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there. The tests should be done before first bite of food then two hours after the first bite. However, when experimenting with a particular food that you think may be the cause of the spike then testing at one hour then again at two hours may give give you a clearer picture. We are all different so some people test at ninety minutes and again at two and a half hours or even three hours later. Hope this helps.

drzac2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
boy/girl bands
Hi there. The tests should be done before first bite of food then two hours after the first bite. However, when experimenting with a particular food that you think may be the cause of the spike then testing at one hour then again at two hours may give give you a clearer picture. We are all different so some people test at ninety minutes and again at two and a half hours or even three hours later. Hope this helps.

It does, many thanks. At the moment, I am only testing every 2 days and recording results for nurse but am keen to start eating right foods and cutting out bad :)

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It does, many thanks. At the moment, I am only testing every 2 days and recording results for nurse but am keen to start eating right foods and cutting d :)

I have started doing the same thing. I tested to confirm my spike with red kidney beans in chilli last night. Same high numbers as the first time I tried it so that is one food I definitely know that I cant have even in small amounts. Back to using cannelini beans instead.