How to clean lancet device?

Yogamommy5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I'm new to this. Diagnosed with Diabetes 2 a month ago. The instructions on my new multiclix device say to clean weekly with these expensive soft cloths you have to order online. As far as I can see they do contain alcohol. From the reviews I see these wipes are said to be quite dry. Is this why they say these are the only approved ones and others will damage the unit? Does anyone actually do this? Or can you just use alcohol wipes or what?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I just use alcohol wipes and allow the lancer to dry before using.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely clean my lancet device. When I do it's with a plain alcohol wipe on the cap part that touches my finger. The most important thing is to use fresh lancets every time you test to avoid infections and tearing the skin. :) Cleaning is only really necessary if the cap is dirty or you've used it on unwashed fingers often.

Most caps are also just plain plastic and can withstand a rinse in soapy water if necessary, but as this depends on the device I'd doublecheck before doing that.

Most companies make "special cleaning products" just to up profits. In most cases generic cleaning alternatives work just as well!

D

Deleted member 308541

I wipe the end of my Multiclix with a alcohol wipe every now and again, usually when I put a new set of lancets in.

Yogamommy5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks! When I first started using the multiclix, I came close to ordering these crazy expensive wipes, but I couldn't afford the $60 and it gave me pause to think. It's bad enough that the strips are only partially covered and everything else is out of pocket (I live in Canada).

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yogamommys5 as was said a lot of these so called wipes etc are really expensive and just a gimmick to make you spend good money I just use surgical spirit if mine gets grubby which is not often just put some on a tissue and gently wipe it drys almost immediately can be bought from most pharmacy's hope this helps? Good luck

Yogamommy5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yogamommys5 as was said a lot of these so called wipes etc are really expensive and just a gimmick to make you spend good money I just use surgical spirit if mine gets grubby which is not often just put some on a tissue and gently wipe it drys almost immediately can be bought from most pharmacy's hope this helps? Good luck
That sounds like the best plan for me! I've been trying to cut down on my expenses!

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yogamommys5 glad that helped it not to dear either about 99p for fair sized bottle lasts me months and you can use it for other things as well .

Reactions: Yogamommy5

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I dont think Ive ever cleaned one, how would it get dirty its kept in a pouch and only comes out for a second or two and then goes back, I do change the cartridge occasionally but I use each needle more than once and never had a problem.

Perhaps Im in a minority here, but its just never occurred to me to clean it...

Reactions: librarising
M

ME_Valentijn

... how would it get dirty its kept in a pouch and only comes out for a second or two and then goes back ....
Splashing blood. I've had my "no blood" and "thick blood" and "lots of blood" phases over the past weeks, and now it's doing "spurting blood." When spurting, a lot of it hits the tip of the device where the lancet comes shooting out.

It's never a dull moment!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 70% isopropyl alcohol available easily from Amazon. Change lancet every time and clean device about once a month. Hope that helps

D

Deleted member 308541

Out of interest I gave my Multiclix a wipe with a Medi-Swab which I mentioned before, and it came away clean with no blood residue **** on it. I fired the lancet through another swab and again it was clean.

Yogamommy5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I opened up my pouch and the Lancet device slipped out then quickly rolled under the dresser.
I dont think Ive ever cleaned one, how would it get dirty its kept in a pouch and only comes out for a second or two and then goes back, I do change the cartridge occasionally but I use each needle more than once and never had a problem.

Perhaps Im in a minority here, but its just never occurred to me to clean it...

I opened up my pouch and the Lancet device slipped out then quickly rolled under the dresser.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Splashing blood...
...now it's doing "spurting blood." When spurting, a lot of it hits the tip of the device where the lancet comes shooting out.

You just described the shower scene from Psycho ME_Valentijn ;)

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In six years I've never cleaned it. I'm still alive and have never had an infection from this. I also use the same lancet for months at a time. 25 years and I still have fingers - hooray!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sensing a possible gender gap here (gets ready to duck). Could it be that females are more likely to be concerned about hygiene and cleanliness, and cleaning their lancet devices than males ?

Never thought I'd say it, but Sid Bonkers speaks for me [historical reference ; ) ]
As an MDIer I do wash my hands every time though.

Thoughts ?

Geoff