1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How to conceive with high sugars

Discussion in 'Gestational Diabetes' started by Muffins222, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Muffins222

Muffins222 · Member

Hi I’ve been trying for two months previously miscarried due to not taking my multivitamin and having high sugars.

Has anyone conceived with high sugars ?

And has anyone planned a pregnancy with diabetes ?

2. OB87

OB87 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss previously. Are you diagnosed with type 2? You should inform your GP and they will refer you to the prenatal diabetes clinic at the hospital. What is your hba1c? They advise you to get it to 6.5% if possible. How are you treating it ? Have you made diet changes ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

Conceiving isn't usually the problem, it's keeping the levels from going too high that is usually the issue.
    If you look on the pregnancy forum then there are plenty of folk getting pregnant with sugars higher than they like.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/pregnancy.47/

There is also plenty of discussion from diabetics who plan to get pregnant.

Would you like me to move your thread there? The GD forum is more for people who become diabetic during pregnancy. You are already diabetic (T2), I assume???

Ideally you'd get your levels down before you TTC but things aren't always ideal. As @OB87 said, if you contact your GP they should put you in contact with a diabetes prenatal clinic, who'll be able to help you get your levels sorted.

Good luck on your journey.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook