How to eat more without pushing up BG?

Jo123

Please I would much appreciate some advice, I have impaired fasting glucose, on reading this excellent forum decided on a low carb diet, plus exercise and a little weight loss.
Problem I am having now is getting excellent blood sugars on this most of the time, but really want to slow down weight loss, am at about 9 stone 13lbs, which at 5 ' 8" don't really want to go too much lower. I have my low carb dinner about 7, usually meat and plenty of veg, followed by 2 peices of 85% choc. Then I do 45 mins on cross trainer most nights, BG excellent and fasting BG back to normal levels according to meter. However I am hungry after being on the cross trainer, last night I had large handful of nuts, then 2 peices of cheese, 1 hr after bg 4.4, then this morning 5.5 which is slightly into abnormal territory and much higher than the fasting BG's I have been getting (4.4 - 4.9) when I had a smaller snack but still felt a little hungry. So how do I eat a little more in the evening without pushing up my fasting BG and also slow down my weight loss, which has been 2lbs a week. Evenings are the only time I am feeling hungry.

Doczoc

You could a high fat meal just before bed, as in JUST before bed, a tablespoon of peanut butter might do, or I have some brie. Recently I've been taking calcium caseinate, it's what bodybuilders take, it's a very slow release protein. Has helped my waking BG levels a lot. Do a google on 'Dawn Phenonomen', if that's spelt right LOL Might get some tips there.

EDIT sorry loads of typos, I'm rubbish typing on my lap!

Jo123

Thanks for the advice, my two sons use protein powder so I will have a look at theirs and see if it has any carbs in it. I will also look online for the calcium caseinate, my two sons both have protein shakes so I shall see what is in theirs!

Doczoc

Most protein powders are whey based, this is a very fast absorbed protein, it actually causes an insulin spike and will be no use whatsoever before bed . Calcium caseinate is specifically used before bed because it stays in the gut a long time and feed the muscles over the night! I'll warn you calcium caseinate tastes minging and you prob need a blender or a whisk shaker thing. The non flavoured stuff has zero carbs I get mine fro myprotein.co.uk. I've been adding sugar free raspberry Krusha to mine, o.2 grammes of carbs per 100g. Although I can manage it without too

Trinkwasser

Many of us find we are more carb tolerant in the evening, you nay find that if you tinker with the balance between carbs fat and protein a bit you will come up with a better combination, or possibly adding a later snack of something like oatcakes or ryebread with nut butter, may tweak things such that you lose the hunger *and* end up with better fasting numbers

I tend to have a late night meal with a similar profile to breakfast (high protein, moderate fat, 15g carbs and a large handful of salad and a couple of olives) works rather well

tonight I have some olive oil left over from frying mushrooms, I'll probably make a prawn curry with cashews and bean sprouts and some chillies and peppers and have it with a couple of oatcakes and a salad mixture

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you like cheese on toast, you can make toasted cheese without the bread.
Simply put a slice of cheese onto a piece of non-stick baking parchment and microwave for a minute or 2 (Time will vary with machine and portion) I don't bother with paper and just use a Pyrex plate.
Another useful snack is Pepperami. I love those!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Try Polish Kabanos,they are low carb,dried ,smoked sausages similar to pepperami but taste better.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hana, have you tried the BBQ flavour peperami? I bought a pack for my teenager but he prefers the original version, so I was left to finish it off (here we go again!) I find they're particularly good in scrambled eggs with cherry tomatoes (Yumm - oh dear I've made myself hungry now!)

Happy snacking,

Bubsy