How to get my strength but not my weight back

Ronniemoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m female, 67, I was diagnosed as being pre diabetic at the beginning of the year and was doing well on a low carb diet. Last week a spanner was thrown in the works! A severely upset stomach turned out to be appendicitis and I had my appendix removed.
The hospital visit was not great as I spent one night without sleep in a noisy corridor and the second in a very noisy ward. I didn’t get much sleep at all. I didn’t feel much like eating anything in hospital and it was very difficult to find anything vaguely healthy!
I’m now back at home feeling completely washed out. I’d like to get my strength back without undoing to the effects of the low carb diet. Any dietary suggestions would be welcome.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not surprised you feel washed out as it takes time to recover from something like appendicitis. Give yourself time, and also your incision needs to heal properly. A week is nothing like enough. If you had open surgery rather than keyhole then recovery takes longer.

Eat plenty of protein as that is needed for recovery, drink enough fluid that you have very pale pee, eat enough fibre that you are not constipated. Go for a gentle walk outside each day, maybe just for 5 minutes to start with. And stick with the low carbs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m female, 67, I was diagnosed as being pre diabetic at the beginning of the year and was doing well on a low carb diet. Last week a spanner was thrown in the works! A severely upset stomach turned out to be appendicitis and I had my appendix removed.
The hospital visit was not great as I spent one night without sleep in a noisy corridor and the second in a very noisy ward. I didn’t get much sleep at all. I didn’t feel much like eating anything in hospital and it was very difficult to find anything vaguely healthy!
I’m now back at home feeling completely washed out. I’d like to get my strength back without undoing to the effects of the low carb diet. Any dietary suggestions would be welcome.
I'm with @CatsFive . Protein for muscles/strength, fluids, and cutting yourself some slack. Take it easy, and get well soon!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hospital is always always stressful before we even factor in what took us there in the first place. Now you are home, can eat a sensible diet for your illnesses and can rest properly, your system should respond well and soon you will be feeling much more like yourself. It may take a few days before your mind and body "realise" you are now safe and return to optimum function, but it WILL happen.

Edited for typo

Last edited: