How to improve insulin resistance without exercise

smutcher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there.
I've been type 2 since 2005 and was put on insulin in December 2019. Since then I've gained 2.5 stone and my BG results are worse than ever. The docs keep increasing my insulin, which so far just seems to make me more insulin resistant, and so the vicious circle continues.
So I'm trying to break out of the cycle. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to improve insulin resistance if you can't currently exercise (long story)?
I'm currently eating about 80g carbs a day. The hospital nurse/dietitian think I need to be eating more carbs but I find any meal of over 20g carbs sends me rocketing (like readings of over 20) even with insulin.
Thanks in advance x

Reactions: Nixterjoe

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very low carb or
Carnivore or
OMAD or
Extended fasting
Or mix and match any /all of above

But do research first as may have contraindications with other medical issues or medications

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there.
I've been type 2 since 2005 and was put on insulin in December 2019. Since then I've gained 2.5 stone and my BG results are worse than ever. The docs keep increasing my insulin, which so far just seems to make me more insulin resistant, and so the vicious circle continues.
So I'm trying to break out of the cycle. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to improve insulin resistance if you can't currently exercise (long story)?
I'm currently eating about 80g carbs a day. The hospital nurse/dietitian think I need to be eating more carbs but I find any meal of over 20g carbs sends me rocketing (like readings of over 20) even with insulin.
Thanks in advance x
If you try lowering carbs further eg keto and you are on fixed insulin doses you’ll need to be taught how to self adjust them to match your changing needs or the dr will need to do so, probably very soon after you start. It can change very fast so monitor closely to avoid hypos and be ready to treat.

Adding more and more insulin to a resistant body that is already awash in it might temporarily reduce blood glucose but in the longer term just makes the IR worse as you’re finding. Insulin (imo) should be for those who can’t make it as normal non diabetics do (as a fact not an assumption) or as a short term measure to avoid dangerous highs whilst the actual problem is addressed. Too often ”not enough” is actually meaning “despite there being loads it’s still not enough to overcome huge insulin resistance”. Has your insulin production ever been checked with a cpeptide? If there’s normal/high levels diet can make a massive difference. If it’s actually low/non existent then you need the help even if you are resistant too.

Why does the dietician think you need more - glucose raising - carbs? Can they explain it? What do they think will happen if you ate less not more?

• Agree
Reactions: TriciaWs

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @smutcher
I wonder if you might get better responses if you posted in the T2 Diabetes sub-forum T2 with Insulin ?

The type of Diabetic responding there is more likely to have Insulin Resistance (i.e. a Type 2) but also to be on Insulin, so more likely to have encountered the problems you're currently facing.
Let me know if you would like me to move the above post. You can ask in here, or via a PM to any Moderator.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

wobbles

Hi there.
Thanks in advance x
Hi Smutcher, I really and truly empathise.

I was diagnosed as T2 in 2008 and have been on insulin for a few years now.

I have had the same situation with insulin. Eventually, due to IR it just stops working and you need more and more to regulate your BG - which causes IR to get worse (as you put on more weight)

I hit a brick wall back in June and knew that things needed to change.

I re read Professor Roy Taylor’s “Life Without Diabetes” - reminded myself why this was happening and then followed the 8-12 program to take back control and see if it leads to remission.

The book is amazing but I’m not hear to sell books, so you can get a summary of the research and the approach here:

Hope this helps…

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @smutcher I have been thinking about what might help your situation and reading your old posts.
Now we can't give medical advice in here and even dietary advice can be fraught with problems for somebody taking Insulin like you.

Can you confirm the following:
1. You are only on Insulin - no other diabetes medication, not for example Metformin? And the reason for that is a bad stomach/GI tract side effects?
2. You tried the 'Newcastle Diet' as best you could even while on Insulin? - Did it help?
3. You are still eating Low Carb - up to around 60gms per day ?
4. Your BG seems to go up both while fasting and even between normal meal times i.e. for more than 2hrs from starting a meal?

Sorry for so many questions, but otherwise people are likely to suggest the same old things you have already tried before.

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there.
Thanks in advance x

Try less carbs and less insulin. Insulin makes you hungry

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there.
Thanks in advance x
Smutcher

I'm an escapee from the UK living in California, I was diagnosed with T2DM in 2014. I had an A1C done about 18 months ago it came in at 6.5 (just inside the diabetes threshold) I got a prescription of Ozempic. I had to drive down to Mexico and pay $220/pen. Over the course of 18 months I used a total of 7 pens or about $1700/or so in drugs.

At best, I lost 28lbs with the help of Ozempic, from Jan 2022 to April 2023, at which point I had lost 52 lbs (at 252 lbs my heaviest), from diagnosis weight to best levels (200 lbs) where my BMI was at 25.0. I came off Ozempic about 4 months back, as it got too expensive to buy. I've since put a few lbs back on. Now I'm trying to manage my weight with intermittent fasting 18/6 (or 20/4 )+ a 3 mile walk in the evening. I try and not eat in the evenings (just drink some green teas) and have a late breakfast to start the day.

If roles were reversed I'd see if you can get a prescription for Ozempic. It is an amazing drug. It may really help you. If you search on the internet you'll find loads of support groups that are all using GLP-1 drugs. Some are better than others. The UK has cheaper Ozempic than the USA. You might be thrilled as to how much weight you can lose and how much your health can improve. Using insulin today as a T2DM is in my opinion (dare I say it) is barbaric.

Good luck