Type 1 How to inject

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi. Just recovered from a big hypo after ? accidentally injecting into muscle in the side of my abdomen.
I thought maybe my technique is wrong as this is the second time it's happened. I use 4 mm needles, pinch the skin, put the needle (on a novopen) in at 90 degrees, release the skin and inject. Should I change the angle to 45 degrees or maybe keep hold of the skin fold while I'm injecting or something else. I'd be grateful for any input as it was really scary
Cheers
Leeanne

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally hold the pinched skin, inject, count to ten and then release, or it could be you have hit a small capillary and they don't always bleed......if it keeps happening then try the decreased angle.....all you can do is try......

Reactions: Goacher55

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't pinch since moving to 4mm needles. I use 90 degrees and count to ten before removing. Is it worth talking through with your dsn? Maybe there are alternative stress to use?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it your Lantus? That can give you very scary hypo's when you hit a small blood vessel. Happened to me and scared me so much I changed to Tresiba.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I use 4mm and never pinch and use 90 deg. I've never had the problem you had. The normal area on the abdomen is the area around the navel but not too near it. I wouldn't myself inject to the side of the abdomen.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus has to be injected into fat for it to release slowly, injected in to any other body mass it will work like a fast acting insulin!