How to make a good near zero carb coffee?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes. I am using zero sugar 3 in 1 coffee, the 5.1g carb came from the glucose syrup in the creamer in the formula. I sweetened it myself with stevia extract.

I ever tried using evaporated milk with high quality instant coffee and stevia, the end product do not taste as good as the 3 in 1.

I do understand, I do miss those creamers made by delight and coffeemate ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is right.

Thanks.
And presumably cream or milk are inconvenient because of heat and portability?

I found i was in a similar situation when I worked in an office. I ended up switching to herb tea simply because I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of organising my milk or cream in a shared fridge...

If you wanted to make up your own mix, you could try instant coffee, milk powder, sweetener. Or powdered coconut cream.
The trouble is, there are a lot of different variables, from brand of coffee, to type of sweetener...

Reactions: ziggy_w

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Thanks.
And presumably cream or milk are inconvenient because of heat and portability?

I found i was in a similar situation when I worked in an office. I ended up switching to herb tea simply because I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of organising my milk or cream in a shared fridge...

If you wanted to make up your own mix, you could try instant coffee, milk powder, sweetener. Or powdered coconut cream.
The trouble is, there are a lot of different variables, from brand of coffee, to type of sweetener...

They find it too troublesome to have to add three ingredients seperately one by one. So someone invented a blended product that has all three ingredients single-servingly-packed. All u need to is to tear open one tube and mix in hot water. I do not see any difficulty in developing one that tastes good and is lower than 5.1g carb per serving. The only thing is that they do not see a market in such a product.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They find it too troublesome to have to add three ingredients seperately one by one.
Then there is all that stirring to be done, some people do have to endure the most terrible hardship. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then there is all that stirring to be done, some people do have to endure the most terrible hardship. :)

Mr Pot, I find your mockery inappropriate.

@millenium has previously posted that he has a relative in a situation where they have a number of challenges trying to persuade the carers there to assist his relative in complying with a lower carb way of eating.

I can empathise with his desire to make life simpler for both himself, the staff and his relative.

Millenium, I apologise if I have remembered your relative's situation wrongly, but I believe he is your father?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr Pot, I find your mockery inappropriate.

@millenium has previously posted that he has a relative in a situation where they have a number of challenges trying to persuade the carers there to assist his relative in complying with a lower carb way of eating.

I can empathise with his desire to make life simpler for both himself, the staff and his relative.

Millenium, I apologise if I have remembered your relative's situation wrongly, but I believe he is your father?
None of that is mentioned in this thread, but if that is the case I address my remark to his father's carers, surely they must make their own tea or coffee using the three ingredient method?

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First I gave up the sugar in coffee, then the milk or creamer powders in the office, and now my tastebuds really enjoy the wildly different flavours of different beans without any taste fillers. I grind it myself and use different means to brew, as they also impact the taste. I will very rarely now put plain heavy whipped cream in for some extra calories, but prefer the taste of coffee in a naked state. Even plain whipped cream now tastes sweet.

Have you tried different brewing methods and different beans?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'll third coffee with real double cream.
My 10 ml (2 teaspoons) measured has 0.27g of carbs.

Wimp!

Real men/women/small furry beings from Alpha Centauri have at least 100 ml of double cream in a strong coffee.:D

I don't think I've ever gone much over 150 ml in one cup, but give me time.
This may explain why (including the big lump of butter) I can go a long time before needing to eat after my breakfast cup of Bullet Resistant Coffee. ;)

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Believe it or not, the 3 in 1 is a legendary product in Asia market. The company that invented it became a listed company within a relatively short time. Currently, there are more than 10 brands making it including abig international food company. Each individual serving tube can cost around USD0.05 only. The good taste, convenience and cost made them very popular.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe it or not, the 3 in 1 is a legendary product in Asia market. The company that invented it became a listed company within a relatively short time. Currently, there are more than 10 brands making it including abig international food company. Each individual serving tube can cost around USD0.5 only.
Were you asking for the benefit of your father's carers or your own consumption? The 3 in 1 is not available in the UK as far as I know. I haven't used any dry coffee creamer since I was a student and that was 50 years ago.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Were you asking for the benefit of your father's carers or your own consumption? The 3 in 1 is not available in the UK as far as I know. I haven't used any dry coffee creamer since I was a student and that was 50 years ago.

My father do not like the taste of the very low carb coffee I made using high grade instant coffee powder, evaporated milk and Stevia extract. But he like the zero sugar 3 in 1 coffee very much.

I ask to see if anyone know how to make a even lower carb one that taste like the 3 in 1. I suspect the difference could lie in the creamer in the formula. But the creamer could also be where the 5.1 carb is coming from.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just bought a packet of coffeemate to do some experiments to formulate a good tasting lower carb instant coffee.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My father do not like the taste of the very low carb coffee I made using high grade instant coffee powder, evaporated milk and Stevia extract. But he like the zero sugar 3 in 1 coffee very much.

I ask to see if anyone know how to make a even lower carb one that taste like the 3 in 1. I suspect the difference could lie in the creamer in the formula. But the creamer could also be where the 5.1 carb is coming from.

I thought that I read that the formulation included glucose syrup as a sweetener?
If so, zero sugar would be misleading.
Also, the glucose syrup would probably taste better than any artificial sweetener.
I know my taste buds react badly to artificial sweeteners.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bought a packet of coffeemate to do some experiments to formulate a good tasting lower carb instant coffee.

Here in the UK, the nutrition for coffeemate is listed as 57g carbs per 100g of product
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258120071
which they say works out at 3.8g per serving.

Of course you would need to check that the coffeemate sold in your country is of a similar carb content.

Reactions: millenium

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just tried out mixing one serving of coffeemate, 2g of freezed dried coffee powder and stevia extract in hot water. The mixture do not taste good. So I guess I will have to stick to the zero sugar added 3 in 1 or rather 2 in 1.

SarahEN

The lowest 3 in 1 coffee product I can find in my country still has 5.1g carb per packet serving. Is there any other product that can beat this or any way to make a lower carb one that taste good?
Is access to coffee as limited in Singapore as it is in Malaysia? I remember 3in1 being prevalent there & imo it was not tasty!

Your best bet would be to test local brands of instant coffee out (with no sugar or creamer) until you find one that is palatable. It might require some extra effort as I remember struggling to find anything that wasn't 3in1.
Failing that, your local Starbucks will sell their instant coffee - though from recollection its expensive.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is access to coffee as limited in Singapore as it is in Malaysia? I remember 3in1 being prevalent there & imo it was not tasty!

Your best bet would be to test local brands of instant coffee out (with no sugar or creamer) until you find one that is palatable. It might require some extra effort as I remember struggling to find anything that wasn't 3in1.
Failing that, your local Starbucks will sell their instant coffee - though from recollection its expensive.

So far my father and his bgl is happy with the coffee + creamer 2 in 1 sweetened with stevia. I plan to test out drip coffee next.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Coffee, I have an espresso machine, plant based milk - unsweetened soy (250ml 2.3g carbs), then sugar free syrup (0 carbs), sometimes I substitute soy milk for vegan cream, finish it off with ice :)

As a male, I try to avoid soy-based beverages (boosts estrogen levels which harms testosterone apparently), but I make my cappucino froth using a combination of coconut oil, cashew milk, and a teaspon of cocoa powder and it's terrific.

Tastes like a dessert! Lovely.

SarahEN

I think you'll find you can tolerate drip coffee without the sweetener, which i'm not a fan off tbh. Drip coffee tends to be less bitter anyway. Good luck with it all!
So far my father and his bgl is happy with the coffee + creamer 2 in 1 sweetened with stevia. I plan to test out drip coffee next.

Reactions: millenium

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As a male, I try to avoid soy-based beverages (boosts estrogen levels which harms testosterone apparently), but I make my cappucino froth using a combination of coconut oil, cashew milk, and a teaspon of cocoa powder and it's terrific.

Tastes like a dessert! Lovely.

Your recipe seems very delicious. I will try that soon.

Reactions: Hoping4Cure