Prediabetes How to test accurately

Peppino84

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello all, this is my first post on this board.
I have not being diagnosticated with prediabetes yet, but I show some signs - impaired fasting glucose (usually between 5.6 and 6.1 mmol/L), and sometimes higher post prandial glucose. I am white caucasican 186 mm tall and wieght 110 kg, BMI of 31.8 (slightly obese). My mother suffers from diabetes mellitus.

I have some questions. I am new to measuring the blood sugar, and sometimes I have problems interpreting the results.
One day, I did a "test" (ate one pizza from the supermarket, the frozen ones) and a tortilla with chicken and vegetables.The total glucose intake was equal to or slightly higher than 75 grams according to my calculations. Two hours after, my blood sugar was about 7.6 , which I deemed normal.

Yesterday I tried again eating a box of sushi, 460 grams of it which, according to the label, would provide 116 grams of carbs of which about 40 sugars. The blood sugar was this: two or one hour and half before eating(5 PM), my blood sugar was 5.7 mmol/L, then 40 mins after eating(7.56 PM) I had 7.8, at 8 30 PM was 8.1, at 8.55 PM was 8.3, at 9.02 PM was 9.4, at 9.04 PM was 13.8, (!!!!), at 9.05 PM was 9.3, at 9.07 PM was 8.4, at 9.08 PM (one hour and 57 minutes after eating) was 8.6, at 9.20 PM was again at 9.6, at 9.29 PM was 10.1 (!!!),at 9.53 PM was 9.1, at 10.23 PM was 9,0, at 10.37 was 7.6, and at 0.10 AM was 4.8 .

I know that this kind of meaurement looks maniacal, but I wanted to follow the evolution as best as possible. My question is: could these readings (or part of them) be wrong? I cannot explain, for example, the spike of 13.8, being 2 minutes before 9.4 and one minute after 9.05. Actually the measurements at 9.02 PM and 9.04 PM have been done on the same blood drop, could this be the reason behind?

The thing is that after two hours from the intake, my blood sugar was at 9.6 which I think is prediabetes, but could this value be normal counting the stress and the fever (got flu yesterday morning, after one week of tireness).

Then, how can i understand the difference in the postprandial glucose of the pizza+tortilla test and the sushi one?

Last question, some days ago i tested my blood sugar with my glucometer and a friend's (roche one) and found difference of nearly 1 mmol/L, means my tester is biased? I used the control solution on mine, and all looks in the ranges.

Sorry for the lot of questions and hope to hear from you soon.

Peppe

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will never get 100% true results with a finger prick it is only an indication of what the blood glucose is at that moment in time and will change again in a heart beat it is just a guide and not to be taken as absolutely right. All kind of things change blood glucose levels not just food.
As you have not yet been diagnosed I would say put the meter away until you know for sure if you have diabetes or are prediabetic. You are just confusing your self and testing far to soon and to many times after eating so of course you are going to get confusing results.The usual advice if you want to test is to test before eating and two hours after the meal most people will say earlier than 2 hours is to soon
No one would be able to say the test you did every few minutes were true readings ...yes that was manic you need to have a proper blood test to say if you are diabetic do not try to diagnose yourself

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Peppino84 Yes, blood meters arent 100% accurate. Moreover, I'd guess there was some mistake if you suddenly went up to the 13s then down to the 9s again in a few minutes.

If you're concerned about diabetes or pre-diabetes, the best thing to do would be to speak to your doctor and get some proper tests :)

Peppino84

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you all for your kind replies, feels great to have a helping hand in all of this. :) I will be following strictly the 30 days meal plan, which looks gorgeus, and hoping to get rid of this bad levels of sugar.

Reactions: azure