How to test babies for early diabetes?

Type1of25years+

Hello,
I remember reading somewhere (maybe in pregnancy books) that other parents would occasionally test their babies urine for high blood sugars. I’d like to do this occasionally (lots of diabetes in the family) but can’t for the life of me find simple testing sticks to do this…. Only adult ones where you test for everything under the sun! Can anyone recommend some?
Many thanks!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I remember reading somewhere (maybe in pregnancy books) that other parents would occasionally test their babies urine for high blood sugars. I’d like to do this occasionally (lots of diabetes in the family) but can’t for the life of me find simple testing sticks to do this…. Only adult ones where you test for everything under the sun! Can anyone recommend some?
Many thanks!
I would expect you'd notice symptoms very quickly anyway.
But if you want to do a urine test, I googled on "Pee test glucose UK" (because I'm not in the UK) and got lots of results for tubs of 50 sticks under 10 £.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I used to use them when my children were young (oldest is 32 and happily still not diabetic). It might be worth choosing ones that check for ketones as well as glucose though to be honest glucose is the most important thing because you can get ketones for non sinister reasons.

I suspect your main issue will be that there are generally 100 strips in a jar and the strips will be out of date before you use all of them.. (I used to use them when my kids were sick or unusually thirsty.. And speaking as a T1 who got an early diagnosis because of vigilance by her T1 mother, albeit pre pee sticks, it's not a bad idea, as long as you don't get too paranoid about it and over test...) :)

Type1of25years+

I used to use them when my children were young (oldest is 32 and happily still not diabetic). It might be worth choosing ones that check for ketones as well as glucose though to be honest glucose is the most important thing because you can get ketones for non sinister reasons.

I suspect your main issue will be that there are generally 100 strips in a jar and the strips will be out of date before you use all of them.. (I used to use them when my kids were sick or unusually thirsty.. And speaking as a T1 who got an early diagnosis because of vigilance by her T1 mother, albeit pre pee sticks, it's not a bad idea, as long as you don't get too paranoid about it and over test...) :)
Thank you. Do you know what age you can use the generic adult sticks on kids? As I know the bs parameters when they’re born is very different. My sister is diabetic, my aunt was and they thought my niece was becoming so I think if my son showed signs they’d actually test for a different type of diabetes so key to get it early. Many thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Do you know what age you can use the generic adult sticks on kids? As I know the bs parameters when they’re born is very different. My sister is diabetic, my aunt was and they thought my niece was becoming so I think if my son showed signs they’d actually test for a different type of diabetes so key to get it early. Many thanks

To be clear, I don't KNOW if my thinking is right or wrong. I'm just applying logic.

Beating in mind the urine dip stick is just testing for glucose, the age of the wetter should be irrelevant. Additionally, children with diabetes test their blood sugars using standard monitors and strip, although today, they would more likely be using a CGM. Some target blood sugar ranges are different for children.

Of course, I may be talking rot, but that's my logic.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77