How to tolerate hunger

Madisons

I think the c peptide test/Gad test is important, but it seems not all consultants do it unless asked. I had to ask, Several Times, and the first time they did it, they forgot to put it in ice and so the result would not have been valid. But to know for sure that I have antibodies means I know for sure I am type 1.
I don't agree with your gp that you should not miss breakfast. Since my diagnoses at any rate I have not had breakfast because of the Dawn Phenomenon where the BG can rise a lot and it has certainly made life easier! I take 1 unit of Novorapid when I get up in the morning to deal with the DP, and also I have 5.0 units Levemir each morning to deal with the glucose that is kicked out by the Liver...& all this helps me to keep BG generally stable.
I actually have very little fruit, usually just blueberries with my salads.
I also drink carbonated water if I feel hungry in the mornings and this seems to stave off feelings of hunger to some extent.
Thanks for your response. Would you mind if I ask when you were diagnosed? Did you have any symptoms? In my case, it was just through random bloodwork since I have to check my hypothyroid levels. What was upsetting was that my GP didn't even point it out that I was prediabetic, had his secretary call me to tell me my bloodwork came back normal and not to worry. It just goes to show you how you have to be on top of them as they are all overworked and overwhelmed. It was through a yearly checkup with my OB/GYN that she noticed the same blood results taken a few month ago. I would have never known, and kept eating the "healthy" carbs I was loading up on. The only thing I felt was that I would be tired and sluggish after meals, especially post-supper, but then I thought it was normal and my stomach was just digesting all the food I had taken in after a day's work. Most of the daytime, I was on the go anyway, to work or gym, so there was no time for a post-meal nap. But now, pandemic hit, not going anywhere, stressed out, and afraid to eat but starving. I have cut down so much fruit, and I mean ALOT. Now, I'll eat 2 slices of apples as a mid-afternoon snack, and cup of raspberries usually after supper. When I do my fasting blood test at the lab, which will be at 8:15 a.m., the Dawn Phenomenon will affect the results? And what is a good time to stop eating the night before to achieve a good result? I know there's nothing that can be done for the 3-month bloods (H1Ac?), because those don't lie about the sugars sticking to your hemo if in prediabetic stage. As a LADA, do you do a low-carb diet or a strict KETO? High-blood Cholesteral and pressure, and CKF, and fatty liver run in the family...so afraid to do KETO, and I'm not a huge fan of meat and cheese. I'm also losing weight. Thank you, I appreciate your feedback LionChild.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 1 (of which LADA is a subtype) does not develop out of type 2. Theoretically a person could get both but it’s not that common.

Type 1 is autoimmune and lack of insulin. Type 2 begins as plentiful insulin but resistant to its effects. Eventually after many years of excess insulin production some type 2 cease making insulin. Was your mum rediagnosed on the basis of lack of insulin production or antibodies. Personally after 40 + years and many of those on insulin I would be sceptical the former was conclusive.

And just because you’ve got the hypothyroidism doesn’t mean you’ll get the type1 even if her diagnosis is accurate. There’s lots of type 1’s whose children never develop it.

is there any reason beyond the family history to suspect type 1/LADA? Are you failing to respond to low carb or type 2 medications?

Reactions: AloeSvea

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Erin,

I am also struggling with hunger all the time. I basically have two meals a day with a late afternoon snack only, but in the big two meals, I feel that I can eat and eat and still not feel full. For example, i only ate my first meal at 11:30 am (last meal the night before was late, like 9:30 pm), so started with lemon water. Then while prepping meal, ate three stalks of celery out of control, in a coriander-garlic-olive oil dip. Then it was a 2-egg omelette with mushrooms, onions, red peppers, greens, 1/2 measured cup of legumes, with 1 low-carb toast with cheese, tomato and avocado. Followed with dessert of a small chunk of cottage cheese, pumpkin seeds, with shavings of 80% lindt dark chocolate (although the shavings I think amounted to a full square piece), then more pumpkin seeds, and now hopefully the green matcha tea will suppress any more hunger cravings. Then I won't eat till about 6:00pm, which is 2 slices of apple with a babybel cheese and sometimes a cup of bone broth. Late supper is either salmon or chicken, big side of salad, and cauliflower rice fully dressed with more peppers and slivered almonds. finally dessert is greek yogurt, with chia seeds and coconut oil, mixed with a dozen raspberries. A cup of warm almond milk with cinnamon before bed. Now you would think this is ALOT of food, and it is...but I am always hungry, Am going through alot of stress apart from being newly diagnosed as pre-diabetic so that's probably why I'm eating so much. I guess when depression hits, that's when I won't be eating at all. Now, i'm still in the stress-stage, and I want to raid the fridge and pantry non-stop. I am probably the skinny diabetic T1 in the future (mother was)....My portion control right now is through the roof, it's crazy.
Actually I don’t think this is a crazy amount of food. There’s also not a huge amount of fats or proteins which might be why you are hungry.

Reactions: lucylocket61

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your response. Would you mind if I ask when you were diagnosed? Did you have any symptoms? In my case, it was just through random bloodwork since I have to check my hypothyroid levels. What was upsetting was that my GP didn't even point it out that I was prediabetic, had his secretary call me to tell me my bloodwork came back normal and not to worry. It just goes to show you how you have to be on top of them as they are all overworked and overwhelmed. It was through a yearly checkup with my OB/GYN that she noticed the same blood results taken a few month ago. I would have never known, and kept eating the "healthy" carbs I was loading up on. The only thing I felt was that I would be tired and sluggish after meals, especially post-supper, but then I thought it was normal and my stomach was just digesting all the food I had taken in after a day's work. Most of the daytime, I was on the go anyway, to work or gym, so there was no time for a post-meal nap. But now, pandemic hit, not going anywhere, stressed out, and afraid to eat but starving. I have cut down so much fruit, and I mean ALOT. Now, I'll eat 2 slices of apples as a mid-afternoon snack, and cup of raspberries usually after supper. When I do my fasting blood test at the lab, which will be at 8:15 a.m., the Dawn Phenomenon will affect the results? And what is a good time to stop eating the night before to achieve a good result? I know there's nothing that can be done for the 3-month bloods (H1Ac?), because those don't lie about the sugars sticking to your hemo if in prediabetic stage. As a LADA, do you do a low-carb diet or a strict KETO? High-blood Cholesteral and pressure, and CKF, and fatty liver run in the family...so afraid to do KETO, and I'm not a huge fan of meat and cheese. I'm also losing weight. Thank you, I appreciate your feedback LionChild.

dawn phenomenon might effect a fasting blood glucose but not an hba1c. low carb and keto don’t just address T2 diabetes but also improves the cholesterol ratios and important aspects of it (ignore totals; they mean less than nothing if you don’t know the breakdowns) and fatty liver, and blood pressure. They are all symptoms of metabolic disease.

Is the weight loss deliberate? You sound like you’re trying for low calorie eating which is also low carb. Trying to do both usually means hunger and isn’t sustainable. Do you have a lot to lose? Do you know what your diabetes levels have been so far?

Reactions: lucylocket61