How to tolerate hunger

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you mean 600g a day in total? If that was all in steak it would mean you were eating about 2.5kg a day.

It was in grams but its a average over the day. I find if its over 20+ grams of fat in the meal then i dont feel hungry :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was in grams but its a average over the day. I find if its over 20+ grams of fat in the meal then i dont feel hungry :)
yes, but do you mean 600g of meat, or 600g of protein within that meat per day. There is a huge difference.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi Erin,

I am also struggling with hunger all the time. I basically have two meals a day with a late afternoon snack only, but in the big two meals, I feel that I can eat and eat and still not feel full. For example, i only ate my first meal at 11:30 am (last meal the night before was late, like 9:30 pm), so started with lemon water. Then while prepping meal, ate three stalks of celery out of control, in a coriander-garlic-olive oil dip. Then it was a 2-egg omelette with mushrooms, onions, red peppers, greens, 1/2 measured cup of legumes, with 1 low-carb toast with cheese, tomato and avocado. Followed with dessert of a small chunk of cottage cheese, pumpkin seeds, with shavings of 80% lindt dark chocolate (although the shavings I think amounted to a full square piece), then more pumpkin seeds, and now hopefully the green matcha tea will suppress any more hunger cravings. Then I won't eat till about 6:00pm, which is 2 slices of apple with a babybel cheese and sometimes a cup of bone broth. Late supper is either salmon or chicken, big side of salad, and cauliflower rice fully dressed with more peppers and slivered almonds. finally dessert is greek yogurt, with chia seeds and coconut oil, mixed with a dozen raspberries. A cup of warm almond milk with cinnamon before bed. Now you would think this is ALOT of food, and it is...but I am always hungry, Am going through alot of stress apart from being newly diagnosed as pre-diabetic so that's probably why I'm eating so much. I guess when depression hits, that's when I won't be eating at all. Now, i'm still in the stress-stage, and I want to raid the fridge and pantry non-stop. I am probably the skinny diabetic T1 in the future (mother was)....My portion control right now is through the roof, it's crazy.

There is a hormone called Amylin that is usually secreted along with insulin but in diabetics (as with insulin), there is deficiency. Amylin's task, among others is to give the feeling of fullness in your tummy. So, it is not unexpected that you would often feel more hungry than your body actually is.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
There is a hormone called Amylin that is usually secreted along with insulin but in diabetics (as with insulin), there is deficiency. Amylin's task, among others is to give the feeling of fullness in your tummy. So, it is not unexpected that you would often feel more hungry than your body actually is.
Ah ha! Unfortunately, insulin takes priority in my treatment. For my age though, and with exercise and eating only until I am relatively full, I have lost quite a bit of weight, and even in comparison to nurses I see, and others in my group, who are not diabetic, are actually much heavier.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes, but do you mean 600g of meat, or 600g of protein within that meat per day. There is a huge difference.

You are correct and sorry i make it sound like i am eating a mountain of meat which is bad info and will edit that out of my post. Its 29 grams of protein per 100g give or take depending on the food

So its 150grams of protein a day and 100+ grams of fat. Sorry for the confusion and will be more careful in the future

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a hormone called Amylin that is usually secreted along with insulin but in diabetics (as with insulin), there is deficiency
The OP Is T2 (according to their profile) so underproduction of endogenous insulin is unlikely to be an issue unless misdiagnosed ..

Madisons

Thanks for informing me about this other hormone Amylin deficiency, another hormone deficiency to my hypothyroid! Lovely! I don't know how I am going to deal with all this when it turns into LADA-T1. I am watching all kinds of You Tube videos with various doctors and diabetes, and I am just overwhelmed and depressed. Right now, I am eating because of the stress....

Madisons

You know, I would rather just have a pill or three a day containing nutrients. Maybe one of the billionaire techies can arrange it. "Just don't Eat"
Yes, but then it would not satisfy the whole eating process..but I get what you mean, take the pill with all the nutrients and don't have to bother with diet, carbs or no carbs, protein or too much of it, etc....just take a pill and be full after that!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for informing me about this other hormone Amylin deficiency, another hormone deficiency to my hypothyroid! Lovely! I don't know how I am going to deal with all this when it turns into LADA-T1. I am watching all kinds of You Tube videos with various doctors and diabetes, and I am just overwhelmed and depressed. Right now, I am eating because of the stress....
What do you mean about it turning into LADA or type 1? Why do you think this will happen?

Madisons

What do you mean about it turning into LADA or type 1? Why do you think this will happen?
Hi, it's in the gene. My mom's endo ran some tests to finally determine what type she was, since she's been a diabetic for 40+ years after her second pregnancy when she was around 27 years old. I recalled that she had to go on insulin right away, no pills or diet or lifestyle changes recommended...just straight to a bottled insulin and a syringe. I was traumatized as a young teen watching all this and seeing her lows which I could not understand. Anyway, back to the present, her endo confirmed that it was LADA turned T1, so that's an inherited autoimmune. She also is hypothyroid, which I also got that lucky gene from. So, I've read that LADAs will depend on insulin after the honeymoon phase is over. Who knows how long my poor pancreas were taking on when I was eating all "healthy" carbs (I thought!) and I always hitting the gym on a regular basis before the pandemic hit. Now I have no motivation whatsoever. Stressed, anxious and depressed. I am also losing weight. My pressure seems fine, as well as cholesteral so far, but who knows how long that will last...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if I missed it but what diabetes diagnosis and treatment do you have at the moment?

Madisons

Apologies if I missed it but what diabetes diagnosis and treatment do you have at the moment?
Hello, my bloods came back as borderline diabetic, so no treatment yet, since no idea if T1 or T2, although I assume they all start you off as a T2, and then take it from there? I've heard so many stories where they misdiagnose LADA as T2 to begin with because of the late onset. GP just told me to watch my carb intake and eat only 2 fruits a day, and exercise. That's it. I told him my mom is LADA-turned T1 and if I should start monitoring my sugars and he said no. What???!!! It's bound to happen. I am always hungry, and I've lost weight. I am so scared of what's ahead. Thank you for your time and concern. I have to take another blood test in a month, afraid of what those results will be, and how long I should be fasting for. Should I also do the c-peptide and anti-GAD test? Any other tests to diagnose? I don't want to find out about it and be too late. Last time, I did a blood fast, that's when the numbers were high into borderline, so my pancreas must be suffering already. That's why I don't understand how those who do intermitent fasting achieve good fasting blood sugars, and mine just goes high. The GP used to say never skip the most important meal of the day, which is breakfast, skipping it will make fasting sugars skyrocket. I don't understand anything relating to sugars and diabetes. Everyone's knowledge and experience feedback here is greatly appreciated!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see you are an insulin user. In my limited understanding, doesnt insulin make you hungrier? I suggest more protein and fats to help with the hunger.

I'm pretty certain that's a myth?
Been doing insulin for just over 45 years. I can forget to eat when focused on "other things."
Yep, I can want to go "locust" if hypo. But even these days when the BGs are good. Even my gaffer tries to remind me to eat at work. He happens to have a T1 son.
Quite funny, that year's later, there is still a misconception that Diabetics on insulin need to snack all the time? Not if one gets the basal dosage right which can limit the amount of potential hypos. Same with correct carb counting & timing of bolus too.
All easier said than done, even if the sayer is ID.
Though for me. Keeping the carb count low helps too. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty certain that's a myth?
Been doing insulin for just over 45 years. I can forget to eat when focused on "other things."
Yep, I can want to go "locust" if hypo. But even these days when the BGs are good. Even my gaffer tries to remind me to eat at work. He happens to have a T1 son.
Quite funny, that year's later, there is still a misconception that Diabetics on insulin need to snack all the time? Not if one gets the basal dosage right which can limit the amount of potential hypos. Same with correct carb counting & timing of bolus too.
All easier said than done, even if the sayer is ID.
Though for me. Keeping the carb count low helps too. :)
thank you. I was under the impression that insulin makes you humgrier and then you can put on weight. My friend with 2 grown up T1 sons and a T1 husband says they eat all the time, eating their carbs to match their insulin (they use pumps) but I dont have personal experience of T1's.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you. I was under the impression that insulin makes you humgrier and then you can put on weight. My friend with 2 grown up T1 sons and a T1 husband says they eat all the time, eating their carbs to match their insulin (they use pumps) but I dont have personal experience of T1's.

I have a healthy relationship with food when it comes to sitting down to dine. Though I err on the LC side.
I was half expecting the "middle age spread" in my mid 30s but it never happened? (Or manifested to date.)
I prefer personally to "sing for supper." Eat when the work is done. Lol, I just can't focus on finishing "that job" on a full stomach. Then I feel naturally hungry. :) & I certainly can't sing in a band on one either. Restricts the diaphram with the breathing? ;)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Insulin does make you hungrier and was told this by my then DSN. When I was on insulin I was always hungry not that I’m not I’m not hungry as often!

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hello, my bloods came back as borderline diabetic, so no treatment yet, since no idea if T1 or T2, although I assume they all start you off as a T2, and then take it from there? I've heard so many stories where they misdiagnose LADA as T2 to begin with because of the late onset. GP just told me to watch my carb intake and eat only 2 fruits a day, and exercise. That's it. I told him my mom is LADA-turned T1 and if I should start monitoring my sugars and he said no. What???!!! It's bound to happen. I am always hungry, and I've lost weight. I am so scared of what's ahead. Thank you for your time and concern. I have to take another blood test in a month, afraid of what those results will be, and how long I should be fasting for. Should I also do the c-peptide and anti-GAD test? Any other tests to diagnose? I don't want to find out about it and be too late. Last time, I did a blood fast, that's when the numbers were high into borderline, so my pancreas must be suffering already. That's why I don't understand how those who do intermitent fasting achieve good fasting blood sugars, and mine just goes high. The GP used to say never skip the most important meal of the day, which is breakfast, skipping it will make fasting sugars skyrocket. I don't understand anything relating to sugars and diabetes. Everyone's knowledge and experience feedback here is greatly appreciated!

I think the c peptide test/Gad test is important, but it seems not all consultants do it unless asked. I had to ask, Several Times, and the first time they did it, they forgot to put it in ice and so the result would not have been valid. But to know for sure that I have antibodies means I know for sure I am type 1.
I don't agree with your gp that you should not miss breakfast. Since my diagnoses at any rate I have not had breakfast because of the Dawn Phenomenon where the BG can rise a lot and it has certainly made life easier! I take 1 unit of Novorapid when I get up in the morning to deal with the DP, and also I have 5.0 units Levemir each morning to deal with the glucose that is kicked out by the Liver...& all this helps me to keep BG generally stable.
I actually have very little fruit, usually just blueberries with my salads.
I also drink carbonated water if I feel hungry in the mornings and this seems to stave off feelings of hunger to some extent.