How/when to test blood?

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used my meter for the first time today. I'd had some carbs but got a pretty good reading (5.5 mmol before breakfast and 6.5 2 hours later.
However, I'm a bit unsure when I should actually be testing. It seems pointless testing when I'm not having carbs (not sure if that's right?) and I have cut back so much on them I'm kind of loath to start eating them just to see if they affect me. Does that make sense?
Also, I've read about people doing fasting testing when they first get up. Should I be doing that?

Sorry for being a bit dense but this is all new to me. I've got all the gear but not sure how to use it!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although stable now with my last three HbA1cs being non diabetic, I still test minimum of four times a day, pre and 2 hours after first bite at breakfast and dinner. My pre breakfast is actually my fasting one as I have breakfast as soon as I get up, before getting showered and dressed. I want to be the first to know if things are deteriorating! I too don’t really test myself by deliberately eating carbs either. I do have the odd tiny roast potato but I know I’m ok with that and I only know that because I’ve tested.
You’re not by any means dense , it’s a lot to learn but you’ll get there, you’ll find what is useful to yourself in time.

Reactions: cmor16

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't have to eat carbs you don't want to just to test the effect. Just test your normal meals now to see if anything is giving you consistently higher readings. Testing can just be to reassure you that you are on the right track to achieve your goals.

After 6 years I don't test as often as some but I find that it helps me keep a handle on things and understand how my body reacts to stress, poor sleep, food, illness exercise etc and I can make adjustments. I don't have to wait for my annual HBA1C to check my control.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Rach & Alison. It's a big learning curve isn't it?!