how would i go about changing consults

marie.T1

i have just come out of hospital due to low sugars. my consultant come on to the ward and didnt even come to see me !! a different consultant come instead . my consultant is usually really rude to me at my appointments and never listens to what i say .my partner came to my appointment last time with me and he said i dont like him because of the way he spoke to me . i really want to change consultants but know how to can anyone help? please

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Assuming that there's more than one consultant when you attend the diabetes clinic I would ask the nurses if you can be seen by another consultant and not the one your referring to here, I did this many years back after one was less than polite to me.

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
I had the same problem with a rude consultant that wouldn't listen to me. I was told that I couldn't be seen by a different consultant at my hospital and that in order to switch consultants I would have to switch hospitals. I have now done this and have my first appointment with my new consultant in two weeks time. It took from August 2011 to March of this year to get the referral to the new hospital. The hospital that I was at before was just five minutes from my house. The new one is half an hour away on the tube but I am hoping that it will be worth it and that my new consultant is not as horrible as my old one. The Patient's Association may be able to advise you on how to go about changing consultants. Hope this helps and good luck. Let us know what happens.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Under the NHS there is a right to a second opinion system as well as the right to switch doctors and consultants. They can as above end up in different Hospitals and clinics though and so can end up being very inconvenient depending on location. I personally switched consultants within the first month when he refused to listen to my plan I had set for myself and if I had not I would not have got Victoza and eventually my Gastric bypass so is sometimes very worthwhile. :D

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We switched to a different clinic in the neighbouring county. I made an appointment with my GP to discuss my concerns and ask for a referral to the other clinic. She kindly contacted them and arranged the first appointment on my behalf, it was very easy :)

marie.T1

thanks for all replies :D i have an appointment with my dsn on wednesday i will speak to her about it . there is another diabetic consultant at the hospital that i attend he is lovely i saw him twice whilst admitted into hospital recently .he listened to what i told him and seemed genuinley concerned he has also sugested that i consider the pump .this is far more than my consultant has done even tho i have been admitted into hospital 5 times in less than 12 months .