1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hubby blood sugar 8.8

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by coleyd, Sep 22, 2019.

1. coleyd

coleyd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello

Randomly checked my hubby's blood sugar and its 8.8 , he had eaten so it's a random one. I told him it's too high. Am I right? He ate a carb heavy lunch.

2. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not a dr but even normal non diabetics can go up to 8 or higher if they eat a very carb loaded meal.

But I guess if worried get dr to do bloods etc

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. coleyd

I had read that a normal persons shouldn't get over 7.8 no matter what.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. woollygal

Everyone’s sugar levels rise. It’s just that with diabetes it doesn’t go down again

If a non diabetic eats a very car loaded meal their sugars can go higher but theirs will come down. Again I’m not a dr if you want professional medical answers speak to a dr.

But we can’t diagnose diabetes on here regardless.

But my dr has always said that non diabetics can go higher

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Anyone can spike to high blood sugars if they eat carbs, it’s when they come back down or not is the issue. Diabetes is high blood sugars that don’t come back down due to lack of insulin, not enough insulin or the body isn’t responding to insulin.

6. MeiChanski

If your husband’s 8.8 stayed 8.8 and continued to climb for the next couple of hours, then we got a problem. If it drops within 1-2hrs, it shouldn’t be an issue.

7. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

Are you referring to this? This is not “no matter what “ but 90 minutes after eating.
    Depending on what and when they have eaten, people without diabetes can definitely go higher than 7.8.
    Until the recent introduction of CGMs and Libre sensors, it has not been easy to know what happens to BG between finger prick readings.
    If you Google non-Diabetic Libre you will find graphs showing readings above 9.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. woollygal

How long after the meal did you test. Really should be 2 hours. If less than everyone will be higher

9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

"I had read that a normal persons shouldn't get over 7.8 no matter what."

What it shouldn't do and what it does do are different things. A non Diabetic's levels can rise above 10 but come down quickly and easily because their metabolism works properly.

To the OP. Random readings tell you nothing, test in the right fashion or simply save your strips.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not true.
    They usually are below that, but can go above 10 under the right circumstances without ever developing diabetes.

If he's worried he could ask for a hba1c, or he could test a couple more times to see if things look right but not right after food. It wouldn't worry me if I tested a friend after a high carb meal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. coleyd

Thanks guys feel better now x

• Like Like x 1
  12. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Never the less you did have a concern.
    So it may be sensible to do a planned test anyway.
    Finger prick before meal and two hours after first bite.
    That should give you some reassurance.

The last thing we want is to go "No, no, that's perfectly normal." when it might be the first sign of pre-diabetes.
    Unlikely though that is.

So as the issue has been raised, even though it is not likely to be a problem, a proper test as described above is a sensible safety measure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nimble

Nimble Type 2 · Member

I don't feel human if it gets below 8.
    Thought I was doing ok, suppose I best read up on all this again.....

14. woollygal

Are you newly diagnosed? If so it can take a while for your body to acclimatise to lower sugars.
    When I first got diagnosed if I hit anything below 10 I thought I was dying and having a hypo. Took a while but now I’m even pretty much coping on 4s. Not perfectly but I’m
    Not teaching immediately for something to eat.

You have to remember on here that a lot of people have been doing this a long time. They can get perfect t numbers and stay at those.

When I first joined it was overwhelming to hear people say that’s too high you have to be in 5/6. It felt impossible and like I’d never achieve it. It took a few months but I got there.

Just remember it is a journey.

Strangely now if I go above 8 I can’t stand it either. Woke up 9.7 this morning and my tongue is all tingly and weird (gone down to 7.9) but tongue still off and I feel bit icky.

Don’t worry, you will start to see lovely numbers but it does take a while.

Perfection gets stayed on here but it isn’t instant. What they don’t tell you is how pong it took them to get there.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. MeiChanski

Is it because you’ve been running high for some time? When someone runs high for a period of time, they feel false hypo symptoms when they drop to lower numbers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nimble

Nimble Type 2 · Member

Been stuck with this for years unfortunately - never mentally got to grips with it. Got this week off so it looks like I'm going to be enjoying a sugar crash

17. woollygal

Do you do low carb high fat?

My sugars got the best I ever had when I went below 20g carbs a day. With meds as well but it worked

18. Nimble

Nimble Type 2 · Member

Afraid I've not really taken it as seriously as I should, more a "limit it to 2 biscuits with my cuppa" person.

19. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The problem with comparing to the general population is that vast swathes of the general population are metabolically damaged or half way there. Personally I do not believe that numbers this high are natural in humans. "Normal" is subjective.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's exactly how my tongue goes when I go low (under 3), how weird it feels too. It feels like you have scalded it and the skin is about to come off!!!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook