huge conflict with dietician

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All of it grabs me but its soooo naughty!!! Haha oh well I guess this is the positive of having diabetes... Pass me that cream ;) I bought some Greek yoghurt today... Now that is really doing the trick! What are low carb treats?!? X
Time to Embrace the Naughty!

As for low carb treats, check out the "what have you eaten today" thread, in particular @Brunneria and @Scandichic have posted some awesome recipes.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All of it grabs me but its soooo naughty!!! Haha oh well I guess this is the positive of having diabetes... Pass me that cream ;) I bought some Greek yoghurt today... Now that is really doing the trick! What are low carb treats?!? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
My absolute favourite dessert is now mixed berries with double cream. I never get sick of eating it. Perfect end to any dinner.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Every time I see this thread title I think "conflict with huge dietician". :)

Reactions: 5 people

Peanut1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
U obviously need carbs for energy but they are best ( in my opinion) consumed in a pyramid system especially if your trying to lose/ maintain a good weight ie more in the morning ( porridge) getting to less as the day goes on . This worked for me personally and had a HBA1C OF 6.3 . You can eat pizza choc and ice cream but try to keep it to a once a week meal treat.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
U obviously need carbs for energy but they are best ( in my opinion) consumed in a pyramid system especially if your trying to lose/ maintain a good weight ie more in the morning ( porridge) getting to less as the day goes on . This worked for me personally and had a HBA1C OF 6.3 . You can eat pizza choc and ice cream but try to keep it to a once a week meal treat.
What do you mean? In what way is it obvious we need carbs for energy?

I for one avoid them like the plague so don't get much energy there. Curiously enough my energy level is so much higher than it has been for quite some time. And I am loosing weight I didn't know I should loose.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt very much that any normal person - as opposed to an elite athlete - needs masses of carbs for energy. And if we believe Prof Tim Noakes, elite endurance athletes can do as well on LCHF - if not better - than their high carb opponents. Seems likely that the only athletes that require high carbs are those indulging in very high intensity/high glycolitic-demand exercise.

Reactions: 3 people

May_23

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So she told you to eat more "carbs/pizza/chocolate/ice Cream!!!!!" - where is the nutrition in that! They are treats and you certainly don't need them to survive. Nothing wrong if you choose to eat them but its not very professional advice to come from a dietician! Before insulin was invented the recommendation was to eat low carb foods. I dont think the answer is to eat rubbish and have more insulin - doesnt seem natural.

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First clinic appt and I'm on very low carbs.

Reduced insulin use by 2/3 since going this way.

Glucose between 5-6.

She was insistent that I needed/ to eat loads more carbs/pizza/chocolate/ice Cream!!!!!!! Just take more insulin!!

When I questioned back she had no explanation at all to back her advice up!

I asked what kind of illness/deficiency would I get from low carbs(40g less)Again no answer!

I have since emailed over studies backing up my approach although not expecting a positive response.

They are apparently very concerned over this!!!!

Madenning!!!!!
wow, no point in stressing. I would recommend you find a new dietician if needed

Last edited by a moderator:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the general "healthy, well-balanced diet" spoken of at my diabetic clinic. Everything has been fine until recently when my DSN pointed out that several days per week I eat less than 100g of carbohydrate. She had always seemed fine with me reducing my carbs so I was quite surprised.

She pointed out that I was having a few hypos (there was no pattern to them, so I couldn't adjust my insulin) and the liver needs at least 100g of carbohydrate to enable it to produce glucose to fight hypos. (She mentioned the possibility of hypos while asleep.)

She then asked if I tell my pump how many unbolussed grams of carbohydrate I take for hypos. Of course I didn't always remember to do that, so she was then happy to leave things as they were because those hypo treatments brought me up to at least 100g per day on hypo days.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the general "healthy, well-balanced diet" spoken of at my diabetic clinic. Everything has been fine until recently when my DSN pointed out that several days per week I eat less than 100g of carbohydrate. She had always seemed fine with me reducing my carbs so I was quite surprised.

She pointed out that I was having a few hypos (there was no pattern to them, so I couldn't adjust my insulin) and the liver needs at least 100g of carbohydrate to enable it to produce glucose to fight hypos. (She mentioned the possibility of hypos while asleep.)
Hogwash. That's how much carb your liver would need IF you had a massive hypo every day and emptied all your glycogen daily. Even then you could and would replace the glycogen using dietary protein if necessary.

Ask her to provide you with a reference for that information. She may learn something new in the process of checking.

Miraculously sent via Diabetes Forum App. Probably on the 4th or 5th try :-/