hughcalc cholesterol converter/calculator

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for reply @CherryAA. When I was on Simvastatin I was still shown as high risk. Here us the results based on those figures. So still confused
c414cac663367e87901b17020ba8b2c7.jpg
Well your HDL was even lower then so you are making progress ! I don't know the time difference between the two, but correcting too low HDL takes time .
My own readings were as follows I adopted LCHF on diagnosis
August HDL 1.04 LDL 3.36 Trig 2.7 Total 5.6
Oct HDL 1.04 LDL2.56 Trig 2.05 Total 4.6
Dec HDL 1.16 LDL 2.54 LDL Trig 1.49 Total 4.3 deliberately increased saturated fats
March HDL 1.38 LDL 2.22 Trig 0.76 total 3.9 - I was getting a little worried here as I would like my total cholesterol to go up
August HDL 1. 60 LDL 2.4 Trig 0.82 total 4.3 - so pleased with this increase

Overall I am hopeful that if I keep up the diet, both HDL and LDL and total cholesterol will increase whilst keeping triglycerides low under 1.0 .

The research suggest having a high cholesterol is protective of health after 60. Some of the fittest people on the planet appear to be hyper responders - so basically if I gradually join that club by increasing both HDL and LDL in proportion from here on in whilst keeping my trigs low - then as far as I am concerned the higher the total cholesterol the better and I will be a happy bunny.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where have I been ? I did not know that ! Thank you for this new line of enquiry
http://quantifiedself.com/2012/04/butter-improves-hdl-and-ldl-as-much-as-statins/

My HDL is the only cholesterol figure I'd like to adjust.
Geoff

Thanks @librarising Great job, and thank you Hugh.

Pretty pleased with mine

Your Total Cholesterol of 6.10 is BORDERLINE
Your LDL of 3.35 is NEAR OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 2.47 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 0.61 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.47 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.737 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.247 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL

I personally would like to become a Hyper responder with High cholesterol if that's possible. @Bluetit1802 looks pretty ideal to where I want to get to. My own view is that these people are probably much metabolically fitter than the rest of us! My reduction to 3.9 was giving me a few sleepless nights. I was so glad I seem to be on the increase .

If the Queen did the test I suspect she would be in this camp to after years on a meat , butter and cream diet and that is why she is still going finally strong at 90+ and why her mum made it to be a centenarian

https://profgrant.com/2016/06/14/th...igh-cholesterol-and-mortality-in-the-elderly/

Buried inside this article - is the key . I doubt its got much to do with her " privileged position " per se in terms of stress etc but everything to do with her diet - meat, butter and cream

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...e-Queen-s-GP-explains-exactly-how-she-does-it

"the philosophy is to help patients achieve optimum wellness rather than just treat them when something goes wrong. "we've adopted a far more preventative approach, and by addressing lifestyle we can hopefully reduce the incidence of disease and delay the onset of ageing,"

This doctor had a wife die of cancer at a young age . As a betting woman I would be amazed if he hasn't subsequently made the low carb real foods link and that is why he thinks he could have " saved" her if he'd done the tests he did to the queen to his wife . I'm sure he knows exactly what the queen's fasting insulin is, and her apoB/apoA

I would also place money on betting that she is a hyper responder - if I could find anyone to take it !

If only the President Eisenhower's physician had understood that and prescribed fats as a solution to his heart attack instead of cutting fats out of his diet entirely , the poor man probably would not have suffered 6 more heart attacks and gallstones before his death. and probably more importantly would have prevented the "low fat" nonsense that is killing us all.

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just put my last set of lipid results through the calculator leaving out the trigs figure and it came back with 1.09.
The value on my blood test print-out was exactly 1 so the calculation seems pretty accurate now.
Thanks to Hugh Chou for this very useful tool.

Your Total Cholesterol of 3.8 is DESIRABLE
Your LDL of 1.5 is OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 1.8 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 1.09 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.11 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 1.200 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.605 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL