chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi all,
I've been using a HumaPen Luxura HD for a long time for my Humalog 3ml cartridges, perfect for me as it has 0.5 unit delivery.
I have just been told that Eli Lilly no longer supply this pen! If I want to replace it (keep as a spare, or replace when the one I'm using breaks) I'll have to go to a Savvio that delivers whole units.
Does anybody know of an alternative to the Luxura HD pens? Cheers

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi all,
I've been using a HumaPen Luxura HD for a long time for my Humalog 3ml cartridges, perfect for me as it has 0.5 unit delivery.
I have just been told that Eli Lilly no longer supply this pen! If I want to replace it (keep as a spare, or replace when the one I'm using breaks) I'll have to go to a Savvio that delivers whole units.

This list here might help?
INSULIN PEN DEVICES GUIDE v4 FINAL.pdf (rotherhamccg.nhs.uk)

Looks like there's a humalog junior kwikpen, but it's prefilled. Would you consider moving to a pump or a different bolus?

Seems crazy that they'd discontinue this without there being an alternative, though maybe they make more money on disposables...

Given that they are supposed to typically last 3 years, maybe you could try ringing round pharmacies and buy a few spares before they are all used up??? (Don't know whether you can do that without a prescription?)

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi, thanks for your response.
I have found recently that the half unit can make all the difference.
Good idea to phone pharmacies! Somebody must have a secret stash of them somewhere!
As for pre-filled, I'd never considered it before, could they be recycled? Can I get away with being a "junior"? At 49, probably not!
I think you must be right about it being driven by money!
Thanks.

ashley2916

Hi all,

I have a free sample one that is new in box, I can mail it to you (from USA) if you will cover shipping. I am a diabetes educator and was cleaning out my supplies when I found this, I searched and saw it had been discontinued, I have no use for it, you are welcome to it.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
I have a free sample one that is new in box, I can mail it to you (from USA) if you will cover shipping. I am a diabetes educator and was cleaning out my supplies when I found this, I searched and saw it had been discontinued, I have no use for it, you are welcome to it.
Hi ashley2916,
Thank you, that would be amazing! And yes I would be more than happy to cover the shipping costs.
Shall I private message you to set things in motion?
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was on a family holiday and then storm Eunice kept me very busy at work!

Paul F

Hi all,
Hi Chrisbug
Did you ever find an alternative to this pen? I am in the exact same position as you were, and every pharmacy is telling me to use the Savvio, but I need 0.5 unit delivery too due to my taking small doses. It's a bit of a nightmare!
Many thanks.
Paul