Humidity / Heat

James2

just wonder how everyone in the forum is coping with this heat
i know that with diabetes extremes of temperature can affect insulin levels and can impact on you bodys ability to cool , i have noticed that my insulin levels seem to fluctuate more as prior to this heatwave they were fairly stable but there could be other variables, the worst things i find with the humidity is i cant sleep properly and the fatigue, with subsequent low energy .
one part of my regime is twice daily walks i do it a lot sooner and later due to the heat but the low energy levels has lead me to struggle as i feel like i am dragging lead or just do it once, i try to be positive a think of the tortoise and the hare ,i am not in a race some days it can be a bit frustrating.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like the heat, but find temperatures over 30c a bit too high, especially in direct sunlight. I've not been walking much, though that's mainly due to dodgy knee, and staying indoors more. I do shopping early before it gets too hot.
I'm keeping my curtains closed during day, and I've bought a fan - something I never thought I'd do.
The heat hasn't affected my sleep, but I usually sleep well.
And it doesn't seem to have affected my bg readings. They actually seem to be a bit lower though I think that's probably because I'm eating less as I don't feel so hungry when it's hot.

I am glad I'm retired though, I wouldn't like to be working in these temperatures.

Last edited:

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I’m also struggling with the heat. Walk about an hour most mornings but the same walk is taking longer. Also trouble sleeping. Don’t know what the answer is though! Perhaps I should move from the south east. But then I wouldn’t be happy in Winter.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband's holidays are exactly in the most brutal heatwave we've had in the Netherlands yet... And I didn't want to give up on our planned day trips. I haven't had hypo's since I got my thyroid meds sorted, so haven't been hauling my testkit around... And I should have. Walking around in 36 degrees gave me hypo's twice. I couldn't check my sugars, but I know what my bs does on IF and Keto now, and I'm usually in the 4's and lower fives under normal circumstances. Considering food made a quick difference, to the shakes, rubbery legs and confusion... Ah well. Now I know that even with pretty good control, diabetes and heat will mess me up.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am finding the hot weather unbearable

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from shopping a couple of times a week and walking the dog early morning I just stay indoors so have not found it to bad and not really any difference in my BG levels. It is good weather for people to loose weight as most do not eat so much when it is hot. I have been mostly eating chicken and salad and I have lost about 4lb not that I need to. Loosing it is easy for me it is putting it back on that is the problem I can loose it in days and take months to put it back on again

Reactions: Prem51