Hunger

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet. I have read and watched quite a number of people claiming that eating protein and fat keeps us feeling full. I don't know if that's true in my case. For example, when I ate eggs with toast, I would feel hungry a couple of hours later. I think it was the toast that was making me hungry. I think carbohydrates trigger hunger, rather than proteins keep me feeling full.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet. I have read and watched quite a number of people claiming that eating protein and fat keeps us feeling full. I don't know if that's true in my case. For example, when I ate eggs with toast, I would feel hungry a couple of hours later. I think it was the toast that was making me hungry. I think carbohydrates trigger hunger, rather than proteins keep me feeling full.
You are right. In my case the hunger left when I ditched the carbs. Carbs are addictive for sure.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If I have understood your comment correctly you are questioning the premise that protein and fats keep you feeling fuller for longer, but that carbs actively promote hunger to the point that in the absence of carbs there is no hunger response? If so, and please forgive me if I have misunderstood, perhaps you could do some reading on the grehlin/leptin responses in the metabolic system.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s both. The carbs provide short term energy and blood glucose spikes that make you hungry a few hours later whereas fats and protein provide satiety but when eaten alongside carbs get stored as fat. By cutting carbs you are reducing the trigger for hunger whilst enabling the use of protein and fat for fuel.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
It’s both. The carbs provide short term energy and blood glucose spikes that make you hungry a few hours later whereas fats and protein provide satiety but when eaten alongside carbs get stored as fat. By cutting carbs you are reducing the trigger for hunger whilst enabling the use of protein and fat for fuel.
That seems to be true for me also. Take yesterday. I had two boiled eggs and a slither of cheddar cheese at lunchtime, with about 8 walnuts. I didn't feel the slightest bit hungry at dinnertime, so just had a coffee with cream. I had a small bowl of raspberries and cream at around 7ish, but not because I felt hungry ... just fancied something nice! My early fasting bg was 4.7 this morning ... the lowest it's ever been

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I agree - carbs make me feel hungry too. Try having bacon or ham with your eggs and give the bread a miss. See if that works-it does for me

Reactions: MrsGruffy