Type 2 Hunger?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Metformin ER 500 x 2 and Forxiga 5mg for about 4-5 months. My numbers were reasonable though not great (around 6.0 fasting and 8.5). However a few weeks ago i was having strange issues (extreme thirst, hunger, light headedness etc. with normal to slightly elevated BGs). Doctor asked me to stop Forxiga and for a few days all those extreme hunger, thirst etc. disappeared. I was happy but BGs have been inching up (9.5 to 10.0 2 hours after meals). So i try reducing carbs a bit more and increase protein and fats. But yesterday the hunger pangs struck again for few hours before lunch till dinner. I was extremely confused. I thought Forxiga was the culprit but this recurrence (on one day as of now) confused.

Any thoughts? My next doctor appointment is a few weeks away.

Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on Metformin ER 500 x 2 and Forxiga 5mg for about 4-5 months. My numbers were reasonable though not great (around 6.0 fasting and 8.5). However a few weeks ago i was having strange issues (extreme thirst, hunger, light headedness etc. with normal to slightly elevated BGs). Doctor asked me to stop Forxiga and for a few days all those extreme hunger, thirst etc. disappeared. I was happy but BGs have been inching up (9.5 to 10.0 2 hours after meals). So i try reducing carbs a bit more and increase protein and fats. But yesterday the hunger pangs struck again for few hours before lunch till dinner. I was extremely confused. I thought Forxiga was the culprit but this recurrence (on one day as of now) confused.

Any thoughts? My next doctor appointment is a few weeks away.

Thanks

Just a couple of things, straight from the hip, here:

Firstly, had you eaten enough in the few days preceeding the pangs? I know if I'm not quite getting it right, I'll end up having a ravenous day, where there is danger of the fridge disappearing, along with it's contents. To be clear, I'm in a position where I am maintaining weight, so not trying to lose any, for sure.

Secondly, had your carbs crept up a bit? Some folks find that carbs lead to hunger and cravings, so maybe you had breached your own optimum level?

Was there anything in common in terms of what you ate on the days this happened - a particular meal of food? Again, some folks find they have trigger foods.

It would also be interesting to understand how you tackle these hungry periods - what you feed on to resolve it.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a couple of things, straight from the hip, here:

Firstly, had you eaten enough in the few days preceeding the pangs? I know if I'm not quite getting it right, I'll end up having a ravenous day, where there is danger of the fridge disappearing, along with it's contents. To be clear, I'm in a position where I am maintaining weight, so not trying to lose any, for sure.

Secondly, had your carbs crept up a bit? Some folks find that carbs lead to hunger and cravings, so maybe you had breached your own optimum level?

Was there anything in common in terms of what you ate on the days this happened - a particular meal of food? Again, some folks find they have trigger foods.

It would also be interesting to understand how you tackle these hungry periods - what you feed on to resolve it.

Thanks. Am thinking through your points. I have been eating quite similar across the days. I also don’t find any unique good that may have triggered. I will try and maintain a food diary though i find it tiring to record everything ☹️.

The one common thing i can see across hunger pang days is other medication in addition to Metformin. After I stopped Forxiga i was good for a few days. Then i had some nausea for which doctor gave me some anti nausea pills... i am suspecting if that did something. It does feel like a guessing game but days when i was on only Metformin seem ok, but anything in addition to a Metformin seems to be related to hunger. Today i am feeling better.

What do i do - i have tried vegetables (carrots, celery) or apples with peanut butter... nuts or seeds... sometimes they help tide the hunger but there were days when I really felt so terrible i just had cookie or toast which I definitely didn’t want to

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Am thinking through your points. I have been eating quite similar across the days. I also don’t find any unique good that may have triggered. I will try and maintain a food diary though i find it tiring to record everything ☹️.

The one common thing i can see across hunger pang days is other medication in addition to Metformin. After I stopped Forxiga i was good for a few days. Then i had some nausea for which doctor gave me some anti nausea pills... i am suspecting if that did something. It does feel like a guessing game but days when i was on only Metformin seem ok, but anything in addition to a Metformin seems to be related to hunger. Today i am feeling better.

What do i do - i have tried vegetables (carrots, celery) or apples with peanut butter... nuts or seeds... sometimes they help tide the hunger but there were days when I really felt so terrible i just had cookie or toast which I definitely didn’t want to

Whilst recording is tiresome, so are the hunger pangs and nausea, I'd wager. You do need to record for a while, otherwise, you as well as everyone else is just speculating about the issue.

When hungry, having a cookie does nothing to resolve hunger longer term.. In those situations, personally, I'd tend to go for some cheese or nuts. You're much less likely to get rebound cravings from those.

If you thikn the meddication is to blame, read the patient leaflet, nausea is listed in the possible side effects, but as someone sails, I know a lot of people who have taken that from time to time, and not encountered any issues. That doesn't mean you don't though.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst recording is tiresome, so are the hunger pangs and nausea, I'd wager. You do need to record for a while, otherwise, you as well as everyone else is just speculating about the issue.

When hungry, having a cookie does nothing to resolve hunger longer term.. In those situations, personally, I'd tend to go for some cheese or nuts. You're much less likely to get rebound cravings from those.

If you thikn the meddication is to blame, read the patient leaflet, nausea is listed in the possible side effects, but as someone sails, I know a lot of people who have taken that from time to time, and not encountered any issues. That doesn't mean you don't though.

Thanks. Totally agree. I must stock up healthy snacks. And yes recording is necessary. What apps are preferred by the community here for recording meals??

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Totally agree. I must stock up healthy snacks. And yes recording is necessary. What apps are preferred by the community here for recording meals??

Everything from pen ND paper, to spreadsheet, to phone apps, to heaven only knows what.

When I was recording intensely, I used MyFitnessPal, but I understand my colleague, @Rachox uses MySugar?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everything from pen ND paper, to spreadsheet, to phone apps, to heaven only knows what.

When I was recording intensely, I used MyFitnessPal, but I understand my colleague, @Rachox uses MySugar?
Thanks for the tag @DCUKMod. I do use MySugr, however I only use it to log blood sugar readings. For a food diary I use Excel spreadsheets.