hunger

Julie Cov

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently I seem to be hungry all the time. Is this a problem ? I try to snack healthily with fruit but temptation is always there. Any ideas

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which fruit do you snack on - most are carb-laden. I find something like a piece of cheese, some olives, or a hard-boiled egg much more filling (and less likely to raise your glucose levels).

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71 and saky

Julie Cov

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Which fruit do you snack on - most are carb-laden. I find something like a piece of cheese, some olives, or a hard-boiled egg much more filling (and less likely to raise your glucose levels).
will check that but mostly apples & bananas. love cheese so thanks for that . egg no so appetising. low carb works for me too . must remember nuts . thanks

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I forgot the nuts too! A handful of nuts is always another good choice - that banana, not so much ;)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently I seem to be hungry all the time. Is this a problem ? I try to snack healthily with fruit but temptation is always there. Any ideas
Hello Julie Cov and welcome to the forums. If you're T2 by definition you/we have a problem handling carbohydrates and sugars. Fruit (apart from berries) is high in sugars. It is not healthy as far as I'm concerned. One banana has probably got more carbs than I eat in a day.

An apple has about 20g carbs, a banana is about 25% carbs - anything from 20 to 35g depending on banana size.

You'll therefore get a sugar hit each time you have some, but when your BG levels fall your body will dtect the drop and assume you need more sugar and trigger the hunger response. Pretty much what happens if you eat sweets.

I've found snacking to be always a bad move - if you're hungry, eat properly: if you're not, why are you eating? is what I tell myself.

Reactions: saky

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have the same.problem; extreme hunger esp after i eat carbs (>30grams) in a meal. The days i eat less carbs (no fruit of any kind except a little berries ) the hunger pangs are better.
When i started cutting carbs and snacked (on nuts) less often excessive hunger is controlled.
If i get tempted and eat more nuts, i feel excessive hunger coming back.

Reactions: Nikki-616

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
will check that but mostly apples & bananas. love cheese so thanks for that . egg no so appetising. low carb works for me too . must remember nuts . thanks
Apples and bananas would have me spiked for days, cheese is so much better and nuts in moderation, diabetes is so hard I miss all the wrong things sometimes

Reactions: Nikki-616

Cluso

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bananas are high carb, you can replace by avocado (rich in fat low in net carbs, lots of fiber).

Carbs are addictive...

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71 and saky