Hyper and Hypo rebounds

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Further to the discussions that have occurred on the forum regarding somogyi effect (rebounds to hypos), I was at a pump meet up this week where the DSN was discussing overnight hypers and hypos. She said that whilst they do not know the cause, it is being noticed that the rebound effect from highs and lows that occur overnight, appear to be more pronounced, than those that occur in the day. It is believed this may be partly because you remain high or low for longer (i.e. you sleep though most of it) but it is being considered it may also be, believe it or not, partly linked to the fact you are lying down.
I feel this highlights that we need to ensure the foundations (basal) is right before we try to target the rest of our control. Whilst the DSN was quoting research, I do not have any documented proof for this, but I have found it does correlate with my CGM data.
I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I noticed with my CGM as long as my basal is correct the line stays pretty smooth all night long. Its upon waking up I watch my sugar raise up nearly 3 points - without eating/drinking.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It is believed this may be partly because you remain high or low for longer (i.e. you sleep though most of it) but it is being considered it may also be, believe it or not, partly linked to the fact you are lying down.

Understand that you may not recognise the hypo symptoms when asleep so may get a rebound but what is the correlation between hypo's and lying down I wonder..........I'm intrigued.

There was a thread last week where some type 1's say they go hypo when taking a nap during the day, did you see it @paulliljeros

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel this highlights that we need to ensure the foundations (basal) is right before we try to target the rest of our control.

I thought for the majority of insulin dependant diabetics that this was the number one rule...;)