Hyper first thing

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

More advise needed.

I'm on insulatard and novorapid. My BG when I get up in the morning is rarely below 11. I then spend all day trying to correct to bring it down.

I have been told to speak to my DSN - but to be honest, she may not be talking to me after I told her I thought clinic visits were becoming a complete waste of time (what can I say, I was having a grumpy day - I have apologised)

Has anyone got any advise as to what I can do to get the morning down??

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you checked what's happening to your BG levels overnight?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tested through the night to establish how and when they're rising? What are your pre-bed levels? Do you test immediately after getting up, or after you've pottered about for a while?

Sorry for the question rampage haha

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test as soon as I wake up in the morning.

My BG in the middle of the night usually sits around the 6-8 mark :yawn:

I go to bed usually around 5-9 depending on what I've done in the evening..............................

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm guessing but it sounds like your basal may need some change. If you take it at bedtime and you wake up and immediately test and find it's 11 then that implies you need a higher dose? Get the basal right first to achieve around 6 mmol first thing in the morning and then the rapid to match meal carbs. Try to get advice from the DN if you can.

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN usually tells me the opposite - that I need to cut back the basal as I must be hypoing in the middle of the night..........

I never understood how the "take less insulin and your BG will improve" theory worked............. :lol:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I'm afraid one test in the night won't cut it ;) tiring as it is you need to test every hour one night to see what's happening. That will either rule out or confirm a night hypo giving you a glucose dump.

If you increase your basal you may risk giving yourself night hypos.

If your BG stays steady from say 11pm to 5am then suddenly rises then its the dawn phenomenon.