Hyper?? What?

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As title is meant to suggest...what is a hyper?! I have an app whereby I can record my levels. Done a full day of recording and it shows 6 hypers. What is a hyper and is it normal? I did a reading an hour after dinner and got 12.something, did another an hour later and it had jumped to 14.8. I am newly diagnosed (yesterday)so am still reading up and learning about type 2. Ive attached a screenshot of the hyper. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-29-19-32-02.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-29-19-32-02.png
    298 KB · Views: 193

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi,
Hyper is derived from a Greek word meaning above or over. The average blood glucose reading in a non-diabetic would be somewhere around 5.5, provided they hadn't eaten a meal less than 30 minutes before testing. So your hyper readings would be above 7.0 (normally). Again normally a diabetic nurse or GP would aim to get you around the 7.0 level as a norm, but like any human being, your blood sugar can rise to at least 10.0 for half an hour after eating. I certainly wouldn't want to advise you personally since I am not a doctor and obviously don't know your medical history over all. I was Type 1 for 54 years until having a pancreas transplant - therefore I have had considerable experience of blood sugar fluctuations. Never feel afraid to pester your health advisors! Good luck

Reactions: cherrydarling_

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have they said how they plan to treat you. try to reduce your carb intake a little will stop it rising so high but dont cut carbs totally. you will need some expert advice.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see you are using MySugr. I use it too. You can decide your target range in the settings and what you want marked as hypers and hypos. Here is my settings page, go into menu > profile and settings > therapy, then scroll down and you’ll see this section. See attached pic. BF4F03A4-8EDA-442B-920C-33F5D00F9472.png

Last edited:

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
have they said how they plan to treat you. try to reduce your carb intake a little will stop it rising so high but dont cut carbs totally. you will need some expert advice.
Am seeing the diabetes doc on tuesday, so hopefully they will fill me in, although I'm pretty sure I'll get all the info I need from here!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone has their own individual blood sugar targets. You should discuss this with your doctor to help decide on an acceptable range of blood glucose levels. As a guide, nondiabetic people rarely go above 7.8, although people with diabetes, especially those on insulin, may need to relax this target a bit. 10 is a common choice of number to indicate being high.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My meter is set at 12 and above for hyper. I peak quickly after eating (I'm type 1) so tend to check about 2 hours later to make sure I'm <10.

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My meter is set at 12 and above for hyper. I peak quickly after eating (I'm type 1) so tend to check about 2 hours later to make sure I'm <10.
The past two days (only been testing fully for two days since diagnosed) I seem to be between 11-12 after eating an hour after eating then go down to about 10 another hour later (apart from teatime yesterday where I went from 12 after 1 hour to 14 an hour later!) Would the doctor /nurse advise on levels to be reached?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The past two days (only been testing fully for two days since diagnosed) I seem to be between 11-12 after eating an hour after eating then go down to about 10 another hour later (apart from teatime yesterday where I went from 12 after 1 hour to 14 an hour later!) Would the doctor /nurse advise on levels to be reached?
Here’s a page from this site which gives a chart with recommended blood sugar levels, scroll down a little:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I know the is a bit off topic, but I called my surgery today to find out what my hbac1 (?) reading was when I had my bloods done. The receptionist asked if I just wanted the number and told me it was 53. My question is, Is this normal/high reading? Does this have any bearing on whether I'll need medication or not? I hate to sound so needy, but I'd like an idea of what I may be in for!

Reactions: Greg1957

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the is a bit off topic, but I called my surgery today to find out what my hbac1 (?) reading was when I had my bloods done. The receptionist asked if I just wanted the number and told me it was 53. My question is, Is this normal/high reading? Does this have any bearing on whether I'll need medication or not? I hate to sound so needy, but I'd like an idea of what I may be in for!
Below 42 is non diabetic
42 - 47 is pre diabetic
Anything 48 or over is diabetic.
You are therefore definitely diabetic. However I for instance was diagnosed with a level of 70, others are diagnosed even higher. If you put your mind to it you’ll get that down fairly quickly I would have thought. I got mine down by eating a low carb diet and taking Metformin, within four months my HbA1c was down to 36.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My BG was 53 when diagnosed and told my GP that I wanted to try to control with diet and exercise. She agreed to a 3 month 'trial'. I have a blood test next week and see the nurse the following week so will see how I've done on lchf diet!