Hypers and hot weather

manpaul6763

Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in March 2021 so still quite new to coping with this. I thought I was coping well with my blood sugars but this week they are out of control and high most of the day and through the night. With my libre alarm going off with the high readings. I give myself 25 units of abasaglar in the morning and then novorapid with food and correction. I'm still keeping to my prescription of between 4 and 8 units with food. I am keeping myself hydrated with water and low cal/zero drinks, keeping out of the sun most of the day oh I am also in a cast at the moment so can't do much walking. Any advice on what else I could try would be appreciated. I am convinced that it is the weather. I dont like the thought of skipping meals to get my levels down but have missed my breakfast this morning and just gave myself an insulin correction......

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in March 2021 so still quite new to coping with this. I thought I was coping well with my blood sugars but this week they are out of control and high most of the day and through the night. With my libre alarm going off with the high readings. I give myself 25 units of abasaglar in the morning and then novorapid with food and correction. I'm still keeping to my prescription of between 4 and 8 units with food. I am keeping myself hydrated with water and low cal/zero drinks, keeping out of the sun most of the day oh I am also in a cast at the moment so can't do much walking. Any advice on what else I could try would be appreciated. I am convinced that it is the weather. I dont like the thought of skipping meals to get my levels down but have missed my breakfast this morning and just gave myself an insulin correction......
Hi I have the same problem, it’s the weather with me, I have had Type 1 LADA for a few years now. I think you are doing the right thing, I am taking additional correction doses with meals, I haven’t entirely skipped breakfast, just one spoon of plain yogurt to prevent any glucose dumping from my liver, as if you eat nothing your body can think there is no food available and the liver will kick in with a release of glucose. This helps get back on track. Also do you have a resistance band? This noticeably lowers my BG, some arm exercises maybe? I would speak to your diabetic nurse about basal doses in the heat. Also zero sugar fizzy drinks can still raise your BG as they trick the body into thinking it’s sugar, there are other threads about this. Sugar free jelly is good. Try and keep cool, must be difficult with a cast on your leg in this heat!

Reactions: manpaul6763

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am having the exact opposite at the moment with this weather, I am getting low BG alarms. The problem is the basal level of insulin rather than the bonus. I have reduced mine from 24 down to 21 over several days.

[edited by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: manpaul6763

manpaul6763

Hi I have the same problem, it’s the weather with me, I have had Type 1 LADA for a few years now. I think you are doing the right thing, I am taking additional correction doses with meals, I haven’t entirely skipped breakfast, just one spoon of plain yogurt to prevent any glucose dumping from my liver, as if you eat nothing your body can think there is no food available and the liver will kick in with a release of glucose. This helps get back on track. Also do you have a resistance band? This noticeably lowers my BG, some arm exercises maybe? I would speak to your diabetic nurse about basal doses in the heat. Also zero sugar fizzy drinks can still raise your BG as they trick the body into thinking it’s sugar, there are other threads about this. Sugar free jelly is good. Try and keep cool, must be difficult with a cast on your leg in this heat!
Thank you for your reply much appreciated

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

manpaul6763

I am having the exact opposite at the moment with this weather, I am getting low BG alarms. The problem is the basal level of insulin rather than the bonus. I have reduced mine from 24 down to 21 over several days.
Thank you Mike, will speak to the diabetes ñurse about my basal levels

[mod edit to reflect quoted post]

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also in a cast at the moment

Hi there, just a thought if you don't mind me asking, why are you in a cast and when did it happen? Any form of short or long term illness or inflammation etc, can most definitely raise your glucose levels and throw them all over the place. x

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 and my sugars have been all over the place since the heatwave began. Quite a few high readings and a couple of lows too. It must be the heat as my glucose can rise a couple of mmols just by having a hot shower!

manpaul6763

Hi there, just a thought if you don't mind me asking, why are you in a cast and when did it happen? Any form of short or long term illness or inflammation etc, can most definitely raise your glucose levels and throw them all over the place. x
Broke my ankle 4 weeks ago. I'm hoping to get it off in 2 weeks. They also put me on Rivaroxaban to prevent clots. My levels have been fine until this week, I was so proud of myself getting in target more than 75% of the time. Now its 44%

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 a year and a half, I find I go high if I’m in direct sun for a period of time (which I try to avoid but sometimes it’s impossible). As soon as I start walking or conducting any kind of exercise my sugars plummet! Kinda like my body uses any insulin present at once! So I tend to need to adjust doses, are you usually very active prior to the cast injury? If so it could be entirely possible your body isn’t using the insulin as efficiently as it was prior to the injury.. pain and stress can also raise bgl.