Hypo after a hot bath

CC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So new to this game - well not a game but you catch my drift. Anyway just injected fast acting (1/2 unit per 10g of carb) then straight after got a hot bath. After got out of the bath felt nauseous, then the shakes came then the sweats. Bloods 3.2. Going back up now but seriously scared me. Can hot baths do this especially so soon after injecting insulin?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A hot bath, like exercise, may let your insulin act quicker I think by speeding up blood flow.
But it could be coincidence as well. A miscalculation of carbs, the carbs acting slower because of fat content, bg on the way down already from things before, needing less insulin today for the same amount of carbs as yesterday, the colour of your socks, a period coming up or a 1000 other things.
I'm sorry to tell you that mystery highs and lows are a part of the game...

You know this happened once, so next time take an extra test to see what's happening and prevent the hypo (if it even happens)
Good luck!

Last edited:

CC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A hot bath, like exercise, may let your insulin act quicker I think by speeding up blood flow.
But it could be coincidence as well. A miscalculation of carbs, the carbs acting slower because of fat content, bg on the way down already from things before, needing less insulin today for the same amount of carbs than yesterday, the colour of your socks, a period coming up or a 1000 other things.
I'm sorry to tell you that mystery highs and lows are a part of the game...

You know this happened once, so next time take an extra test to see what's happening and prevent the hypo (if it even happens)
Good luck!
Yeah true could be any reason it's just such a massive learning curve this for me and it scared me having the hypo. Espesh as flying tomorrow morning. Oh well must buy some more jelly babies.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, make sure to have lots of jelly babies and test strips and you'll get there!
Hope you'll have a nice trip :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
So new to this game - well not a game but you catch my drift. Anyway just injected fast acting (1/2 unit per 10g of carb) then straight after got a hot bath. After got out of the bath felt nauseous, then the shakes came then the sweats. Bloods 3.2. Going back up now but seriously scared me. Can hot baths do this especially so soon after injecting insulin?

YES!... is my experience.

Reactions: porl69

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely yes for me. Now I avoid taking a hot bath right after a meal.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hot baths usually make my BG's go up fast! But I know usually it's the opposite problem for a lot.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

If it "helps", I've had a hypo from a hot bath before too. I think it can cause insulin to be absorbed at a different rate...