Hypo after effects

lynbrown

I occasionally get hypos, in the wee small hours, and am interested in what other people go through the following day. I was up at 4am with a hypo of 3.4, had a weetabix, 2 oatcakes and a cup of tea. I fell back to sleep immediately. Its now 10am, had tea and toast, reading on meter is 20.2 so just had an insulin jag. My whole body feels empty, I'm lethargic and washed out. The reason for my hypo was due to my evening meal ie baked potato with prawns, being wasted. When I opened the potato, half of it was discoloured and started to blacken on the plate. You don't know these pots are damaged till they're cooked! I ate my prawns and had some biscuits and wee bit Brie. Obviously not enough to make up for the missing potato. Live and learn. But is there a quick way to get my body back to normal?

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
From my experience it's just a matter of time , You've actually damaged your body slightly and it takes a few days to recover .

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I occasionally get hypos, in the wee small hours, and am interested in what other people go through the following day. I was up at 4am with a hypo of 3.4, had a weetabix, 2 oatcakes and a cup of tea. I fell back to sleep immediately. Its now 10am, had tea and toast, reading on meter is 20.2 so just had an insulin jag. My whole body feels empty, I'm lethargic and washed out.
Just to clarify what did you treat the hypo with - the weetabix, oatcakes and tea? If so that's not going to get you out of said hypo very fast, you need something a lot more glucose-y - eg. dextrose tablets, sweets, sugary soft drink.
Did you test before you went back to sleep, maybe you were still hypo (which wont have helped matters)?

One of the reasons you're feeling rubbish will be because you're at 20 so getting that down will help a bit, but yeah it can just take time :(

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree with Rokaab. You need to keep some fast-acting carbs in your bedroom just in case.

Being hypo at night is a real nuisance and potentially very dangerous, but a spike up to 20.0 mml will just have made you feel even worse this morning. The cause will have been eating slower-acting carbs like Weetabix before correctng the situation with glucose, coke or whatever.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I occasionally get hypos, in the wee small hours, and am interested in what other people go through the following day. I was up at 4am with a hypo of 3.4, had a weetabix, 2 oatcakes and a cup of tea. I fell back to sleep immediately. Its now 10am, had tea and toast, reading on meter is 20.2 so just had an insulin jag. My whole body feels empty, I'm lethargic and washed out. The reason for my hypo was due to my evening meal ie baked potato with prawns, being wasted. When I opened the potato, half of it was discoloured and started to blacken on the plate. You don't know these pots are damaged till they're cooked! I ate my prawns and had some biscuits and wee bit Brie. Obviously not enough to make up for the missing potato. Live and learn. But is there a quick way to get my body back to normal?

Hi,

Sounds like what I call a "hypo hangover." It's easy when woken from a low to basically overtreat, go back to sleep & wake up feeling like.... That. With a high BG.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I've always found glucose powder is the quickest method of getting out of a nocturnal hypo , A couple of teaspoons is usually enough but try not to over treat , The oatcakes and weetabix would have sent me over the top a couple of hours later .