Hypo and Decision Making

diabeticdancer

I felt a hypo coming on so I tested and it was 3.3. As I was due some lunch, I decided against treating the hypo and felt the urge to make pancakes instead. How random?

Does anyone else do this if it's around meal time?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never had the urge to make pancakes but I do leave a hypo if I know I will be eating in the next 5-10 minutes. 3.3 would be about the lowest I would leave untreated for a few minutes and only if I had no active insulin in me as I have no hypo awareness so can't tell if my blood sugar is falling further.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would treat a level that low then eat lunch 10-15 mins later, reason being your already low and if your insulin worked faster than your food (as in eating a meal high in fat) then you going to be in a lot of trouble, if bg is around the 4 mark or slightly above I would inject just before eating or immediately after.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I felt a hypo coming on so I tested and it was 3.3. As I was due some lunch, I decided against treating the hypo and felt the urge to make pancakes instead. How random?

Does anyone else do this if it's around meal time?

I've done some bloody stupid things when hypo and it's often about bizarre food choices that really aren't that expedient or appropriate in an emergency.

I hope your pancakes were tasty!