christof4

Hi. Am new on here. I was diagnosed with T2 one year ago. I started on insulin and metformin as well as atorvastatin due to high cholesterol. I came off insulin in december. My hba1c was 110 when first diagnosed in June 2020. It was 51 in September 2020, 45 in March 2021. In June 2021 it is now 44. Am obviously very pleased with this. I have been on metformin 2x 500 in the morning and 2x 500 in the evening. Insulin was removed in december 2021 and replaced with sitagliptin 100mg and forxiga 10mg. Everything was fine until one week ago when I had my first hypo followed four hrs later by another despite eating glucose tablets and a sandwich. I have since had another 4 hypos within the week. They always happen 2-3 hrs after eating my evening meal and taking my evening metformin and Atorvastatin - at approx 9-10.30pm. I live alone and they are very scary. I have now stopped taking the forxiga on gp advice but still getting the hypos. Am about to stop taking sitagliptin tomorrow on gp advice. My diabetic review is next week when we will discuss my dosages. My question is because of the timing of my hypos is this not caused by the evening metformin and food? Am I not better to reduce the dosage of metformin or stop taking it altogether? My lowest BG reading has only been 3.5 but i felt extremely unwell, in fact I feel really unwell if my reading is 4.9 or below. While my sugars increase quickly after glucose the symptoms of the hypos sometimes last for hours, if not days. I have PTSD and the symptoms of the hypos trigger my PTSD which seems to increase the symptoms of the hypos tenfold. I have also just had a UTI and thrush and so am about to finish antibiotics for that.

Any advice would really help.

many thanks,

chris

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @christof4 and welcome to the forums. Many of the regulars are asleep now so you may have to wait a while for more replies.

Some quick thoughts.

Firstly, it's really good that you are getting your doctor's advice about this.

As regards metformin, it isn't supposed to cause hypos, so I can understand why the doctor is removing your other meds first.

Some people don't feel well at non hypo levels like 4.9, but they often start to feel better once their body has got used to those levels.

Can I ask how you managed to reduce your hba1c in the first place? (A really impressive result.) Diet, exercise, weight loss?

Anyway, sounds like you've got lots to talk about at your review.

Good luck.