hypo..eat?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Maria,

I hope you find what is posted here helpful - all of us who post regularly do so in the hope that our experiences might be of help to others. Don't worry - you will get to grips with diabetes and, once you understand better how your body and metabolism reacts to it, you will learn how to control it. Unfortunately we can't advise you what you need to do because we are all different and what works for one may not work for another. All we can do is advise you in general terms things to watch out for and things that MIGHT help you, but no guarantees that they WILL help you.

In answer to your question, when I get a hyper reaction, usually when my sugars go over 14, I feel like I have overeaten, very lethargic, can't be bothered to do very much, sometimes slightly nauseous (you know that awful sickly feeling you get when when you've been given a box of chocolates and eaten them all in one go!).

I start to get hypo symptoms when my sugars drop to below 5: jittery, nervous, light-headed, slightly nauseous. If I don't correct it and sugars drop to around 4 then all those symptoms become worse plus I start to sweat, get blurred vision, short of breath, and I have difficulty balancing (for example I wouldn't be able to walk in a straight line). In fact it is very like the effects of having too much to drink, which is why someone having a hypo is often mistaken for a drunk and is ignored instead of helped.

What does seem to happen is that if your body has become accustomed to having high sugar levels for a long time then you will start to feel the hypo effects at a higher sugar level than normal (around 6 to 7). But what you have described does sound very like a panic attack. Have a look at the information on this site and see what you think. It describes your symptoms perfectly, and mentions that a panic attack can be triggered by unstable sugar levels.
http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Book ... ttacks.htm

As you have said, you have suffered from panic attacks in the past so you do have a pre-disposition for them. Another give-away is the relaxed and calm feeling after an attack. You don't generally get that after a hypo (or a hyper) but it is a common reaction after a panic attack when the adrenalin levels suddenly drop. But please check it with your doctor.

Maria

((((((((((((((((((((dave))))))))))))))))))))))))
Thank you!
yes i have had what you get..the full and want to fall asleep feeling after to much food..but suger level highish then..maybe 10.
I should know all the info on the site you sent me....sounds like me alright..but i do put it down to some meds im taking..as i canot sleep hardley at all now..as before was always sleeping..prob the d/b that did that.
I used to help youngsters with panick..here i am again!! why did i not recognise this...d\b was scaring me..but the drug i am taking (and about to come off)unless all thies feelings subside....i wonderd why my blood was normalish and yet i felt bad..on good days do you feel good? or do you have bad days even if bloods are on a better day?
thank you again dave :) :)
**skipping about inside myself now**
untill next panick eh!*what a whimp i am.*

kindest regards and respect for you and this site with all the people helping others all they can..have you heard of the term..we sometimes meet angels in life and we dont even know it..but they are there waiting to help others. :)
Maria.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Maria if you are on fluoxetine as you say,ask your doctor before stopping it.Stopping it suddenly can have unpleasant side effects!!
I'm so glad you've worked out what's causing you to feel the way you were.I hope now you will be able to sleep better and get to understand your diabetes so that you take control and live your life to the full.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Maria,

No problem. If it helped you that's great. In answer to your question, when my sugar levels are good I feel great, when they are not good I can generally feel whether they are too high or too low. After a few years (in my case nearly 6 years) you learn to "read" the messages your body gives you, whether its your mood or your energy levels or the feeling that something is out of balance.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Thanks for that Dennis.My problem is that no matter if mine is high or low I don't feel any different.Which is why I didn't know I had diabetes in the first place.I never feel thirsty,shaky or lethargic (well no more than normal anyway8))I expect one day I'll also learn to "read" my body but at the moment it's a bit like having dyslexia!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
I know what you mean Sue. I haven't fully mastered it, but I'm getting there. Sometimes I get the feeling all is not well, then do a test and get a pleasant surprise, or can feel on top of the world only to find my sugars are sky high. But most of the time I seem to be able to read when my sugar level is approaching high or low before it gets there.

I think it helps that, having recently added byetta to my meds, I am having to re-learn what works and what doesn't for me. The byetta seems to have radically changed the way I react to certain carbohydrate types, so it's very much a case of experimentation for me just now.

Maria

Hi both :)
just come from the dcters...had badish night..the doc today says sounds like d/b..she read all my tests..and explained its d/b that you def have you have all symptoms...but the last test is just for us to be sure on your behalf..and that i will be put on medication..pills...she is lookingf into the medication side also..and side affects..apart from that it is anxiety also and thats becouse of medication and nerves..natural as you have just been told that you have the illness...and im scared...she asked me to go back tomorow for a longer chat...so that may help me.
regards
maria.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Maria,

Sorry to hear the diagnosis confirmed, but at least you now know where you are.

From here on you can go several ways and we have nearly all been down one if not all of them.

1. Go into denial - pretend to yourself that you don't really have diabetes and keep on exactly as before. We probably nearly all did that at first - its a diagnosis you don't want to hear. Trouble is you won't control your diabetes - it will control you, and if you keep on that path it will eventually kill you.

2. Go into headless chicken mode. Many of us have done that as well! But it doesn't solve anything, increases your stress levels (which also increases your BS level), and doesn't help you to come to terms with managing the condition.

3. Stay calm and make a rational decision to come to terms with your diabetes, learn how your body works (and what works for your body), and start to manage the diabetes instead of letting it manage you.

Nearly all of us who are now at number 3 went through 1 and 2 to get there! Just remember there's plenty of people on this forum who will help you, and loads of information. As you are new to diabetes, a good start for you is to have a look at some of the links that Sue has provided for newly diagnosed type 2s. You'll find them in "Sticky: Links for type 2 diabetes." in this thread.

Knowledge is a very powerful tool and the more you understand about diabetes then the better equipped you are to fight it. You may not be able to beat it but at least you will be able to control it.

Good luck.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Maria

I am sure that you are feeling a little upset at the diagnosis from your doctor but as you get to understand what you are dealing with then a lot of your anxiety will go away. You are trying to deal with the unknown at the moment and that is generally worse than the known.

An important factor to remember is that diet and exercise are key to you feeling better. Try and gather the facts but don't think you are lacking if you don't grasp everything straight away as there is a lot to take in at first. Keep in touch with this site and I am sure you will get comfort and knowledge of how to manage your diabetes.

Regards Val

Maria

Thank you.Look at all of you helping all you can..thank you so much from the bottom of my heart :) you dont know how much this meens to me.
Im a scared person..who has got in a rut of fear (like you have mentioned ..not knowing).
Im like a coil..i wont fib to you im not about that...I have delt with the border line d/b for many years..probably fell doen a few times..but was sereouse aboiut it all...So i must try my best to think of it in this way...like the begining and just learn to carry on as before but not falling...its just so final isnt it? pills tests (i hate starve neddles (makes me ill)as in phyicaly...low suger..alswys had that..even my sisters and brothers..my sis has d/b also but at border level like i did years ago..im just so anxsuse latley guys!! I WANT TO SAY TO MYSELF..get on with it..lots worse of out there specialy children who have to needle it...like you all mentiond in a way..learning it is best..and funny enouf im usualy good at that..i just cant sit and relax myself..thought id gone past that years ago..as we get older comes wisdom...so best i knucklke down..get over the stress thing..as that will help me stay healthier..try find whats what food wise..what to eat when..any ideas on diet books with simple items to cook..and that way i can have food prepared ready for bed..is like a banana that may take me through the night and hopfuly help me avoid a hypo..as it takes longer to digest..am i right?..Think its the fear of being cought on a hypo...when im out or something..also waht i had last night..would like to avoid...i did think heck!! what food do i buy in!! started with tuna..and sald and ryvitas..does tea affect b/s then? I dont drink..but started other night having a brandy..and i quit smoking..4 years now..around that anyways..more i learn the more the fear will go.
Thankyou..and i will stay on here if i may but i dont wish to be a pest.
lots love to all (((((((((hugs to all))))))).
Maria. :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Don't worry,Maria you're not being a pest!!:DWe're all learning about our diabetes everyday. I bought a book called "Diabetes cookbook for dummies" which is quite good,I've also got "Diabetes for dummies" which explains things quite simply and in bite size pieces.(got them off E-bay)
Here's a couple of website's with cooking for diabetes.Generally you just need to learn which foods send your sugars up,this is where your tester/monitor comes in.You will find a snack which will take you through the night....Happy hunting!

http://www.diabetic-lifestyle.com/cookingtips.htm

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... king_tips/

Maria

oh thats great..ill go buy one or two....also please may i ask......when you all mention at times the hyper..and your bloods are high..what do you do then?
also do you all carry some sort of food and drink when ever you go out..I have just started getting out to town (tis is why i was a lil upset on the diagnoses) as i dont go out much..and have just started again galavanting out..lots probs in past marrage..lots stress on the way..anyways devorced remarried a lovley man..no fear at all no physical abuse or mental....so this is why im stopping old medds as i needed them in the past...now i dont!!trying hard to get used to change after 35 years marrage, into new relationship with new partener :) so thers a hint whay i am so nervy and anxeouse..but im getting there :)NO FEAR IS GREATTT!!! tell someone to shutup lol..is good!!and ti say NO..oooohhhh :)
how do you all get thru partys and that? food wise and drink wise?
Maria.
x

Maria

hi ALL.
If you have low suger..i know you have something sweet to bring it up
but when its hi..what then?..around and 9...to bring it down?
maria.
just found the site were it explains a lot about symptoms it helps a lot.
Maria :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Maria,

Unfortunately there isn't a magic food or potion you can take to bring it down. It will just come down gradually on its own. The only thing you can really do that will speed this up is to have some exercise. A jog or a brisk walk for a couple of miles will use energy so your body will extract sugar from the blood to replace the energy you are using. That will bring the sugar level down quicker than if you do nothing.

At least a high BS isn't an immediate risk to your health like a Hypo can be.

martinbuchan

Hi Maria

took me 2-3 months after diagnosis (type 2 on insulin straight off) to stop feeling hypo below 5.0 , so your body will take a while to adjust. My type 1 neighbour doesn'y feel hypo till blow 2.8! i feel hypo below 3.9 now in general. I feel fuzzy when BS above 11 (not common now). Remember, there is no great rush to get control ideal. Takes a lot of reading and thought about the subject.

Good luck!

Marty B

Maria

Hello :)
Thank you all for your posts..has helped me understand more.
How do you all feel on a hypo? do yopu feel it comming on like i do..to me its just like same feeling when i was younger hunger pangs..and i dont eat..then go light headed and feel wrenchy all the time and sick..go white..as soon as i eat im fine..but the difn is here it takes lil longer to feel ok.
Maria.

Maria

Re: hypo..eat

Hello again its meeeeeeee!
a bit more controled....was medication that was making me soooooooo anxeouse!!stoped it now and on a calmer one sigh.
Any way..i have been told i sghould not have had to go for that hossy appointment for starve blood then drink......now the nurse tells me!!
i also understand..that i wont have a low suger epesode while taking NO medication,(no one explained that to me AT DOCTERS,
I take my bloods now with controle (have to have starve test again soon to see if i have controled it..if its lower then maybe wont need medication..if not i def will..then im told i will get the low suger epasodes!.
so iv been jogging not for to long as im n o spring chicken :)..maybe 200 yards.
as for my blood sugers..just now its 3.7,,and it goes from there to up to 8 depending what i have ate..mainly around 4.6 a lot and 5 to 8 after foods..i eat a lot of almond nuts tho..not so good but drops my suger level i think,
maria.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Maria,

That is great news. Those sugar levels are excellent - I wish mine were anywhere near as good!!

And thanks for remembering to keep us in the picture. Good luck.

Maria

Re: hypo..eat?(Calmer Maria)

hi all.
Sorry about all the anxeouse messages on the forum..along with all your help I have managed to get it together...Apart from some medication i was given..which was making me very anxeouse anyway..didnt help.
Any way i have changed the medds...and had lots bloods again..and have taken excersise..even tho i dont feel like it at times..but its helped me GET MY BLOODS TO NORMAL! so i am continuing to diet (my weight has gone down) and i nibble on almond nuts a lot lol...and eat low fat yogurts..my last bloods results were normal..so im asuming no medication may be needed....so i am sorry for all the panicking on the site.
And thank you so much for all your kind patience and understanding.
Kindest regards
Maria.