hypo fits

vickiec

Type of diabetes
Type 2
my son who is nearly 17 has just had wot has been described as a hypo fit he doesnt remember much except waking on kitchen floor which large swelling on his head he does have very occasional hypos during the night but always wakes and goes to kitchen for sugar fix, he has a MOPED can he still drive this and will this prevent him havin driving lessons when he is 17. this is the first episode he has had and has been diabetic since he was 14.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
By law he should inform the DVLA if he is having frequent hypo's without recognition, why doesn't he keep sugar by his bed to save him venturing into the kitchen?

Nigel

vickiec

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yeah your right nigel its never bin a prob before cos they are so infrequent but he has got sweets etc in bedroom now, he had a lucky escape as we were away for weekend and he was alone trial run to see if would manage on his own defo a wake up call

vickie

jopar

Hi Vikie

The law states that you must have hypo awarness to maintain your licence if you go here www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/ataglance.aspx and download at a glance guide, chapter 3 deals with diabetics.. this is the latest guidelines 2011..

As this is an hypo that happen durning his sleep it is different to a hypo durning the day, if durning the day (while awake) and he's able to pick up his hypo symptoms before his levels get too low (ideal upper ranges of 3) then he should be able to keep on driving,,

Just remind him to ensure his own safety etc, that he does need to test every time he gets on his mopped to ensure that his levels are ok, if he hasn't eaten for a while and feels that his levels might drop, then have a snack (I tend to have a Jelly Baby or two, just enough to ensure bg doesn't drop) and if he's having regular hypo's either day time or night, then look at his data to see if he's needs to make adjustments, if he's unsure discuss with his team etc...

vickiec

Type of diabetes
Type 2
he does have occasional hypos during the day but always recognises them even during the night they wake him up.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I'll try and dig out the letter I got from DVLA, I think they mention in there that if you have more than 3 hypos a year you are legally required to inform them. I don't remember if they mention anything about day or night time though.

When I was diagnosed, both my GP and Nurse told me that I HAD to inform DVLA but when I called them they said that you only have to inform them if you are on Insulin and sent me a letter in which the above information I talk about is mentioned. Can't remember it all exactly but I will dig it out and post it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
sleep hypo's are excluded from DVLA...I thought it was more than 1 hypo...I have info somewhere too. Although it is on their website...

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I found the letter, I was wrong, it's more than one episode of hypoglycemia in 12 months and not 3 as I wrote in my previous post.

However, it does not mention if "sleep hypoglycemia" is excluded or not, maybe a phone call could clear this up for us.

1)

2)