Hypo Help

Dan_Mason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening People, I’m really after some advice or To see if anyone has had any similar experiences. My insulin doses have been pretty much the same for the last 5 years and everything has been pretty ok…the last week or so I am really struggling with hypos.
This morning I woke up with a BG reading of 7.1. I had two pieces of granary toast and injected 4 units, around 6:30am. I went off to work by 8:30 I felt funny, checked my blood and it was 3.7. Had four glucose tablets and it rose to 9. Half an hour later it had dropped again. I repeated this (3-4 times) untill 11:00, one full packet of dextrose gone and nothing else with me. I panicked, but luckily found a shop and half a can of coke seemed to help for a couple of hours, untill it then dropped again!

Attachments

• 25D95DE2-3527-4A3C-83E1-CA17C910D39E.jpeg
    25D95DE2-3527-4A3C-83E1-CA17C910D39E.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 109

RoughcutAU

After you treated the first hypo with quick acting carbs (dextrose tabs) did you eat something with a longer acting carb ie an apple/slice of bread etc without dosing for it?

Also were you very active that morning or anywhere in the 24 hours before?

Reactions: himtoo

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my sweet remedy (jelly babies) only lasts a short while so I agree with the pure gold advice above, I look for stuff like digestive biscuits.

Reactions: himtoo

Dan_Mason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After you treated the first hypo with quick acting carbs (dextrose tabs) did you eat something with a longer acting carb ie an apple/slice of bread etc without dosing for it?

Also were you very active that morning or anywhere in the 24 hours before?

My insulin doses, breakfast and morning activity is typical of everyday. I didn’t have any longer acting carbs with me, but usually a few glucose tablets sorts me right for a few hours at least. I’m confused as nothing has changed yet I’ve noticed for a few days that my fast acting insulin appears to be acting a lot quicker than it has for some time, and my bloods are dropping rapidly even with reduced dosage.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hard to tell from your initial post ....possibly basal needs a review,,,,also best to follow up fast acting hypo treatment with a long acting carb ( digestive or bread ) to help prevent a recurrence of hypo

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
ok…the last week or so I am really struggling with hypos.

People's insulin needs (and ratios) do change. If you aren't confident to adjust your own rates (my personal first port of call would be to do some basal rate testing) I'd contact your team for urgent help.

RoughcutAU

Definitely echo the above thoughts on checking Basal.

Its always a pain in the proverbial when everything tracks nicely then the D throws you a curveball and need to adjust again. Though personally I don’t mind when that means my insulin requirements drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

Dan_Mason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely echo the above thoughts on checking Basal.

Its always a pain the the proverbial when everything tracks nicely then the D throws you a curveball and need to adjust again. Though personally I don’t mind when that means my insulin requirements drop.

I always just assumed over time that insulin levels would increase and never reduce?

RoughcutAU

I always just assumed over time that insulin levels would increase and never reduce?

There are many factors that can influence insulin sensitivity and can actually lead to a reduction in insulin requirements. Some of the more common - weightloss, change in daily activity/exercise. Others report change in seasons and getting back in target range after a prolonged time travelling “high”.

Very interesting topic - just completed a DAFNE course and the stories from other participants and what does/doesn’t effect them is amazing!