Anonymous Question Hypo like symptoms due to antibiotics???

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on a course of penicillin for 7 days to treat an abscess. I finished them yesterday but have felt really ill for four days now. Has anyone experienced hypo like symptoms when taking a high dose of antibiotics ? Saw my GP yesterday and he seemed unsure!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's your blood sugar? Are you actually hypo or just feeling like you are (but have normal BS)?

Has your eating changed at all? Are you on any meds?

Blip22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Double speak
I have been on a course of penicillin for 7 days to treat an abscess. I finished them yesterday but have felt really ill for four days now. Has anyone experienced hypo like symptoms when taking a high dose of antibiotics ? Saw my GP yesterday and he seemed unsure!
No, but prior to treatment with antibiotics, the sweating component to acute hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia is very much worse. That is to say infection makes things worse, as it pushes your bloodsugar higher the hypos don't drop so low, however the hyperglycemia goes higher so the relative difference is as bad/worse symptomatically. With say, an abscess and or infection the antibiotics are a vast improvement on how I feel.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, but prior to treatment with antibiotics, the sweating component to acute hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia is very much worse. That is to say infection makes things worse, as it pushes your bloodsugar higher the hypos don't drop so low, however the hyperglycemia goes higher so the relative difference is as bad/worse symptomatically. With say, an abscess and or infection the antibiotics are a vast improvement on how I feel.

Blip - Just wanted to let you know that the responses you've made to some threads today, around infections have each been to very old threads. On that basis you may not get much response.

If you are having an issue you'd like support for, it might be useful if you started a new thread, then the responses would be focused on your own issue.

To be clear, you haven'nt done anything wrong, I just don't want you to miss out on support you might need. That's all.