Hypo Migraines

Welshboy82

Hi all,

Following on from my post about morning hypos, I wanted to see if anyone else has suffered from another element of morning hypos.

I have had four migraines in my life (and thankfully only four), and each one has been while recovering from a morning hypo. The first I remember very clearly since it led to hospitalisation. Having woken hypo, and then taken sugar and some complex carbs on top, I began to have the classic aura symptoms of an oncoming migraine, first with very distressing numbness in my face, moving down my arms to my extremities. Then came the pounding, eye-splitting headache and nausea dn vomiting which lasted an hour or two. My poor parents thought the numbness was the sign of a stroke, and I was taken into hospital where I was monitored while I vomited (hey it rhymes!)

The other three migraines in my life have followed exactly the same pattern, with all the classic migraine symptoms.

Clearly on occasions, the brain is affected in such a way by low blood sugar, that the blood vessels contract in a manner that brings on a migraine. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Luke

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

There's been times in the past where i've woken up with a migraine, sometimes so bad i've been sick. Coinciding with High BG's which would indicate that i had a hypo in the night but didn't wake up. i used to call these 'hypo hangovers' So it's sort of the same i think.

I haven't had a night time hypo, or a hypo under 3.5 for a few months now though so this problem has pretty much disappeared for me.

I think quite a few people experience this though.

princess1980

I am a type 1 diabetic :( and still finding it hard after 6/7 years get really down i have been getting a lot of headaches recently feel like pressure ones and going all light headed when standing up been taking ibroprofine but don,t seem to do alot i personly would rather sleep until its gone lol :) im trying to do carb counting and match my insulin so im wondering if thats what causing it and hating every minute too so if any one has suggesstions please speak up kind regards princess1980

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
princess1980 said:
I am a type 1 diabetic :( and still finding it hard after 6/7 years get really down i have been getting a lot of headaches recently feel like pressure ones and going all light headed when standing up been taking ibroprofine but don,t seem to do alot i personly would rather sleep until its gone lol :) im trying to do carb counting and match my insulin so im wondering if thats what causing it and hating every minute too so if any one has suggesstions please speak up kind regards princess1980

You need to discuss these symptoms with your gp or diabetes consultant. This site is a useful aid for those wanting to carb count & match their insulin:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Ask your DSN if they run the DAFNE course in your area, it's very worthwhile and should help with your diabetes control.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
I get these a lot when I have hypos in my sleep. Had a particularly bad one yesterday morning as I also have a cold so the blocked sinus along with the hypo in my sleep meant my head was thumping.

I used to wake up with headaches a lot and my doctor blamed hypos in my sleep so I just put up with them now. Migraleve is a godsend. :)