Hypo

Mirror_man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Never had a hypo yet at moment I seem to able to control things OK but what I've been told about having one I don't want too

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Could you fill us in on what meds you might be on..? It helps regarding hypo probability...

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh hypos aren't nice to have, but you'd need to know the symptoms and be prepared. None of us want one, but they can happen. I agree with the question Jaylee raised about what meds you're on. If you're on no meds at all you're probably unlikely to hypo anyhow. People on meds and insulin are at higher risk.

M

mist

Hypos arent that bad, it's like an inbuilt alarm system to say "Hey, eat something would ya" :D

Just a bit of dizziness, confusion, heart palps..etc

Doesn't take long after you've eaten something for the symptoms to go away.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This website runs a free online Hypo Awareness course. I was like you, a hypo virgin, and on the very day I completed that course, I had my inauguration event. It was something I was able to handle quite easily, even though my symptoms are different from those listed normally. I still recognised what was happening, and what to do. Funnily enough I had also bought my first pack of glucotabs at the chemist so I was well prepared.

i cannot find the link to the online course, so below is the closest I can give you.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/how-to/treat-a-hypo.html

slipper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since being on blood thinners I am more prone to hypos. Always prepared now with jelly babies and slow release biscuits.
If I feel a little shacky or faint I pop a few jelly babies and then pick up.
No idea why blood thinners effect it.

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since being on blood thinners I am more prone to hypos. Always prepared now with jelly babies and slow release biscuits.
What kind of levels are you getting when you get these? and what blood thinners are you taking?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood thinners may well lead to a decrease in BP, and it may be this you are experiencing. Do you confitm hypo levels with a meter before gronffing sweeties?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Your profile says you are treating your diabetes with diet only, is that correct? If you arent on any blood sugar lowering medication, you shouldn't be prone to hypos and I wouldn't have thought warfarin etc does anything to increase the incidence of hypos on its own (although the interaction between warfarin and sulyfroneas ?sp does increase the risk of severe hypos). Have you checked your blood sugar when you experience these symptoms?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On day ten and eleven of low carbing I was experiencing the symptoms of hypos, but did not have a meter to investigate - and I had the most dreadful reaction to Metformin going on at the same time. I ate a few grapes, and I do mean a few, perhaps four or five and it went away, it did come back, and I ate a tiny slice of melon. I suspect that the actual amount in grams of carb was quite small - but it was all that I needed.
I tried to get some information about hypos, but all the pharmacist did was put some sweets on the counter - no thanks I said and went elsewhere. I want far finer control over my blood sugars. Now I am in ketosis I am feeling rock steady and my BG is reducing day by day.